Appliance Man
Appliance Man, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance tech 4 years
13888241

I have a GE Profile refrigerator, Model PSS26GRB, about six

I have a GE Profile refrigerator, Model PSS26GRB, about six years old. A few weeks ago a low intermittent clicking noise started coming from the back. I took of the back panel and pulled out the compressor relay switch and shook it to see it it was loose inside, all appeared to be fine. When it is making the noise, it appears to be from inside the compressor, but it also appears that the compressor is running. I think i can feel a vibration in the compressor when it is making the noise. Should i try replacing the relay switch? Any suggestions? Thanks.
Hello. Thank you for choosing Just Answer. I will be helping you with your question today.

I have never seen the start relay fail on this model. It is really common that the control board will fail. I would remove the control boar that is on the back of the fridge behind the cover. Then look at the back of the control board and see if you can see a burn mark. If you see a burn mark you know the board is bad. Some times the board will fail and not cause a burn mark also.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Since the sound appears to be coming from inside the compressor, do you still think it could or is likely the control board? thanks

Yes the board sends power to the compressor.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

do i pull out all of the wire connections on the control board to look at the back? ?

Yes. Take a picture before so you know where they go.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

no black marks

I would start by replacing the control board still.