Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

Electrolux side by side refrig/freezer. ice and water dispense

Electrolux side by side refrig/freezer. ice and water dispense thru door. water works fine, ice is intermiten, runs 2 seconds and shuts off, push button again and it gives me another second or two. plenty of ice, unit making ice normally

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

do you have a model number ?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

GLRS267ZAW1

okay so the auger will turn for a second or two and drop ice and then stop ? do you have a volt meter ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Correct, when you push a glass against the switch, it starts, the light comes on and runs 1-2 seconds dropping ice, stops, you then have to release the switch, move the glass and push against the switch again too get another 1-2 seconds of operation. yes I have a volt meter, but I am not home now..

okay this could be one of two problems. 1 this has two switches (micro) that control the ice and the water. number 38A on this diagram . when you push for ice it engages the switch, the switch may be faulty. check both of them. the other posibilty is the dispenser control board. number 38. these boards do fail a lot, Dispenser Control Board(NNN) NNN-NNNN     Main Product View check the switches first if they are good replace the board. its Manufacturer Number(NNN) NNN-NNNN
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So you don't feel the solonoid or auger motor are a part of this problem..

Checking switches, is that just a meter read across the contacts?

And if switch is OK, you think it is probably the board??

well if you can stop and start it right away i dont think the auger motor is bad, check the switches while calling for ice. if the voltage drops on one side then most likely the switch is bad. the boards in these are a major issue. we replace a lot of them. make sure all the connections are tight when checking.if the voltage to the switches from the board itself drops then its the board thats bad for sure. you can also try putting voltage directly to the auger motor for a test. if it doesnt stop its good.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK, thanks, XXXXX XXXXX trouble shoot it tonight when I get home.. I may have another question then, but I appreciate your help!

thats fine, when you start working on it just let me know if you need my help. thanks , Bryan