Jon
Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
60802242

microwave repair

Customer Question

microwave repair
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.

Jon :

are you sure you got the right part?

Jon :

what is the full model number of your machine? it will be found on the sticker just inside the machine

Jon :

please get back to me here with the model and serial number and I will check to see that you have the right part. and then i can tell you exactly how to fix and replace the cap.

Customer:

yeah, i got an aftermarket replacement from ERP after i gave them my model number. the new capacitor is a 13 QBP21095

Jon :

sometimes the new cap will come with one less terminal. but usually when it does that the part will come with some instructions or wiring diagram for rewire.

Jon :

what is the model of the micro

Jon :

it may be possible that you have the wrong part. I would like to check so please tell me what the model number is XXXXX the micro and i will check.

Customer:

the new cap came with nothing but a packing slip. My brother in law ordered the part to be drop shipped to me. the volatge rating on the cap was the same. the only issue is the one lead at the bottom as opposed to the 2 that were there before. The old diod was crimped onto one of the leads so i can deal with that but the old cap also has 2 wires going to the bottom, 1 from the transformer, one from the tube

Customer:

The M/W model is PLMV169DCC

Jon :

gotcha. i know exactly how it is wired. i need to know if you have the right cap. need the model#

Jon :

thanks be right back to check parts.

Jon :

you have the wrong cap

Jon :

the right cap is part number(NNN) NNN-NNNN/p>

Jon :

it looks like this

Customer:

Is that the OEM number or the ERP number?

Jon :

it is the factory authorized replacement for your model.

Jon :

you can use any cap that is rated for the same specs but it has to match the terminals. and it seems the new one you have only has three terminals. the one you need has four.

Jon :

i would just order the original to ensure it will match perfectly.

Customer:

yes, thats the OEM part. I assume the aftermarket company who sent me this one would be able to get me the right one

Jon :

it seems they didnt get you the right part.

Jon :

were did you get the part from?

Customer:

Exact Replacement Parts. ERP in Illinois

Jon :

well it seems they were not exact.

Customer:

Seems like you are right.

Customer:

what about the universal diode kit?

Jon :

i would return the part to them if you can and order the new one using part number(NNN) NNN-NNNNto ensure you get the right one. or just order it from either www.repairclinic.com or www.marcone.com or local appliance parts stores.

Customer:

What about the universal diode kit

Jon :

is your diode bad?

Jon :

have you checked that? and even the cap?

Customer:

No. Chaning the HV components. I changed the mag tube already and it still hummed loud without heating so now ive moved on to the cap and diode.

Jon :

diode will not give you a humming noise.

Jon :

usually if the machine is humming and not heating it is either the mag or the transformer. but if you checked the components first you would know exactly what is wrong without just blindly changing parts.

Customer:

I know but figured i would change it while changing the cap

Customer:

Ok, ohmeter in hand. What am i checking?

Jon :

i can say this, if the mag is humming but not heating, it is likely the cap is good and diode. because the mag wouldnt hum if the cap and diode were bad.

Jon :

ok first, discharge the cap after unpluging the machine.

Customer:

Ok, stand by

Jon :

then remove the diode and set meter to continuity or ohms and put your leads to either end of the diode, again disconnect the diode from cap completely, and see if you have continuity. you should have no reading. if you do get anything it is bad.

Customer:

just discharged, stand by while i take off diode and discon from chasis

Customer:

i have continuity between the ends of the old diode

Jon :

ok but here you need to check with continuity a certain way

Jon :

do you know how to do that?

Customer:

i set the ohmeter to the setting that "tones" when there is continuity. When i touched both sides of the disconnected diode, it rang. When i did the same to the replacement diode, it did nothing

Customer:

If there is something else or some other way you need me t to test it, let me know

Jon :

yes. cant just rely on continuity test.

Jon :

look at this video

Customer:

ok, what next?

Customer:

what video?

Customer:

Any harm to just replacing the diode since i have one?

Jon :

here is the video

Jon :

and no harm done if you have a good diode. just replace it.

Jon :

but just so you know how to check it look at the video link above and check it.

Jon :

here is a good video for testing the diode as well

Customer:

Ok, im going to just change the diode. The one i got is a universal. it has a female end on both sides. it came with a male adaptor, so i can add it to the end that is connecting to the chasis but how do i know which direction the diode goes?

Customer:

There is writing on one end of the diode tube, does that indicate which side connects to the cap or to the chasis?

Jon :

just look at the old one and you will clearly see what end is what. usually the end that has the female end is the end that goes on the cap. and the other end to chasis ground

Jon :

one end to chassis and other to the cap.

Jon :

here is how you check a cap.

Customer:

i get that but on this universal replacement, the new one has a female on both sides

Jon :

ok. i dont know where you are getting these parts. they are unusual to say the least and i dont even know if they are good. but usually the diode will have one female end and one end that has a circle on it to connect to ground.

Jon :

if yours has two females then you cant connect to ground with out totally removing the female end. and i may not tell you to do that if it will obviously damage the diode to the point where you cant return it. because we still dont know if the old one was even bad.

Customer:

11QBPUNIV
Full Size Image

Jon :

basically look at the videos and run the tests on cap and diode. if they check good and you are still getting a hum and no heat change the mag

Jon :

if the cap or diode are bad and check bad, replace them.

Customer:

See picture above. It came with two female ends. i can add a male end with a circle for the chasis to one of the female ends but which of the female ends do i add it to?

Jon :

it is simple as that. you just have to know how to check the machine properly. this should take you about 20 minutes to do when on call.

Jon :

chasis side of the diode should have some sort of marking on it

Jon :

either a line or dash. connect the circle to that side.

Customer:

I am not on a call. Help me change the diode then im giving up. See the pic above of what ive bought. its a universal with two female ends and a few universal adaptor attachments. i can add a male to one end that has the circle. I just need to know what side to send to the chasis

Jon :

if it doesnt have a marking you will have to try it out and see if you get a proper test.

Customer:

by proper test, you mean run the machine?

Jon :

no i mean run the test of the diode with your meter like in the video and you will know if you have it backwards or not. if you hook up the diode backwards you could damage the machine.

Customer:

ok, ill watch the video

Jon :

again, take the time to check the components and you will know exactly what is going on and what parts are bad. do you have any other questions about checking the parts?

Customer:

i guess not.

Jon :

if you are not careful when checking these high voltage machines and parts you can get seriously hurt so dont be ashamed to tell me that you dont know what you are doing.

Jon :

check the videos.

Jon :

and if you dont know still get back to me here.

Jon :

here are the part info for the cap diode and mag that should be all you need to fix this. but again do the test and only order what you need.

Jon :

here is the diode part number

Jon :

here is the mag

Jon :

and here is the cap

Customer:

Ok thanks. i am watching the diode video now. After i try that, if it does not work, i will order the right cap. Is it safe to assume the diode could be bad and the cap is good?

Jon :

i would only order the parts from the www.repairclinic.com or www.marcone.com websites or from local appliance parts warehouse. not any other after market place. and use the part numbers i gave you in the links. they are the most up to date numbers and factory original parts.

Jon :

absouletely.

Jon :

i have to say that i change more diodes and mags then caps or transformers.

Jon :

but that doesnt mean that is the way it is with your machine. so run the checks and you will know exactly what is wrong with your machine.

Jon :

please get back to me here if you need more help and I will help you more.

Customer:

thanks

Jon :

but please remember to rate my performance positively below with ok service or better rating if you feel that I have helped to answer your questions.

Jon :

you can always come back to me here after rating me if you have more questions and I will help you more for no additional charge.

Jon :

thank you.

Jon :

and you did great here. just get a little more familiar with checking the high voltage components in a microwave. and it will help you trmemedously.

Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience: Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the positive rating. It is greatly appreciated.

Should you have any other questions or concerns with this machine please get back to me here and I will help you more for no additional charge.

Thanks again.