Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

My GE washer # XXXXX agitator is spinning freely in

either direction. The clothes are... Show More
either direction. The clothes are not getting clean. I cannot figure out how to remove agitator in the first place. once i do get it off what parts do i need to replace?

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

Good morning. this is a common problem on these washers. your drive bell is stripped. this sits on the transmission shaft and the agitator snaps onto it. you need to order and replace that. to get the agitator off you have to pull up real hard. be careful I've hit myself in the face before when it came off. it definitely pulls off its just hard. the part is cheap. $5.85 at the following link. http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Drive-Block-or-Bell/WH43X10032/1264702?modelNumber=WHDSR209DAWW heres a picture of the bottom of the agitator. you can see the 4 tabs that snap it on. graphicwell wishes and thanks, Bryan

Customer reply replied 3 years ago.

So i managed to get agitator off, revealed bolt with additional cover. i removed bolt, but can't seem to remove cover. it comes off a little ways but not fully. is this the "bell" that needs to be replaced?

yes. thats a side view. you just have to keep working on it. it will come off. its just stuck with all the crap under it. I know these are a pain to remove but once its off the new one will go one easier. I usually use a wire brush to clean the spine on the transmission shaft to make the new one go on easier.
Customer reply replied 3 years ago.

I was able to get that cap off.I will clean the shaft off, as you recommend.

Should i also replace bolt, which is somewhat corroded? This exchange has been very helpful. I would not have been able to do this without your help.

this should be the bolt. its $1.30 if you want to replace it. heres that link. http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Screw/WH02X10237/1264449?modelNumber=WHDSR209DAWW good job ! Please don't forget to rate me 3 or above, 5 is best. I don't get credit for helping you unless you do. thanks and best wishes, Bryan

Customer reply replied 3 years ago.

Hi Bryan I got the new bell and bolt, got them on, replaced the agitator,but wasn't able to push agitator all the way down to meet bottom of basket. seems to be about 3/4 " from being snug against the bottom of tub.

Customer reply replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Other.
After i installed new agitator and bolt, i am not able to replac agitator so that it fits snug against bottom of tub, as it was originally, its standing off the bottom by a good 3/4". Should i try putting a block of wood on top and give it a good whack or is there a more civilized approach?
Customer reply replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Other.
Customer reply replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Other.
Customer reply replied 3 years ago.

Relist: Other. After i installed new agitator and bolt, i am not able to replac agitator so that it fits snug against bottom of tub, as it was originally, its standing off the bottom by a good 3/4". Should i try putting a block of wood on top and give it a good whack or is there a more civilized approach?

I'm sorry i was out of my office for an appointment, you cant get the drive bell back on all the way or the agitator ?
Customer reply replied 3 years ago.

Its the agitator itself that i can't seem to muscle down to its original position, snug against the bottom of tub.

okay try turning it a little, then snapping it down.you could break the agitator and thats expensive. I don't think I would hammer it down, also try putting some liquid soap on the bell itself to make it slip over easier.
Customer reply replied 3 years ago.

i will have to get the agitator off again in order to put liquid soap on it... because i just don't think i have the strength or proper leverage to "snap" it..i kinda bruised a rib already.

oh jeez sorry. they don't usually take that much to snap back on. I'm surprised your having so much trouble.
Customer reply replied 3 years ago.

Just to make matters a little more interesting i can't seem to get the agitator off even though i looped a rope under it slipped a 2x4 thru the loop and applied alot of pressure upward. Can i maybe run the washer w/o having agitator seated all the way? no i guess the clothes would get stuck in that gap. Any ideas?

well its hard to say, if you run it and clothes get caught under it this will make your job even harder. maybe run the machine without clothes and see if it works free ?
Customer reply replied 3 years ago.

Okay i'll try that makes more sense. thanks Bryan i'll let you know what happens.

okay, I hope that works. thanks, I have to run out again but will be back in a while, thanks, Bryan
Customer reply replied 3 years ago.

Well after much more effort and w/my daughters help we pried off agitator w/rope+2x4,and wonder of wonders we didn't break the agitator.then i noticed the outer spline grooves on housing which needed to slip into corresponding grooves on inner agitator (duh) and once we aligned properly agitator went on like a dream.

thanks again,Bryan

thats great ! glad to hear it fixed, thanks so much and have a great day ! good job BTW .

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here