rob clement
rob clement, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 years experiance working on all major brands of appliances

I have a 17 year old SubZero built in refrigerator. The refrigerator

I have a 17 year old SubZero built in refrigerator. The refrigerator is on top and the freezer drawer is on the bottom. Ice has been forming on the bottom of the freezer and along the track for its drawer. Ice is forming behind the crisper in the refrigerator and the bottom of the refrigerator. We were told that the insulation in the refrigerator has broken down and that this caused condensation, resulting in ice formation. The ice is solid and not powdered. We were also told that this is a "rare"condition and that nothing can be done to repair it other than replacing the whole thing. Can insulation materiel breakdown? Can a built in be repaired?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  rob clement replied 1 year ago.

rob clement :

Hi,my name is XXXXX XXXXX X will be helping you today.The answer to your question is yes they are correct in the insulation,but it can be repaired,depending on model.You probably will find that the drains are frozen and most sub zero models have kits to stop the freezing.Can you give me a model and serial number please.Please keep in mind,I am not there and need your input to correctly diagnose your problem.

Customer:

WOULD HAVE ANSWERED SOONER BUT MY COMPUTER WENT DOWN. THE MODEL NUMBER IS XXXXX THE SERIAL NUMBER IS XXXXX

rob clement :

I am out doing service right now,as soon as i get back home I will get you the part numbers you will need .there is a repair for this problem

rob clement :

Here are the part numbers you will need to stop those drains from freezing,part(NNN) NNN-NNNNis the fridge drain heater and part(NNN) NNN-NNNNis the freezer drain heater.let me know if there is anything else I can help with

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thanks for the info and part numbers, but it raises other questions. if the insulation has broken down, wouldn't the same problem re-occur after the new parts are installed?

No,they are a fix to stop the problem
rob clement, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 20 years experiance working on all major brands of appliances