Jon
Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.

How can we get our Maytag washer to get back on the right cycle?

Customer Question

How can we get our Maytag washer to get back on the right cycle? It won't rinse and spin at times.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for using this service. Please be logged in to rate my assistance when we are done. Rating 3-5 is good, but 1-2 is bad so talk with me first.

what is the complete model number of the unit
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry I couldn't stay awake to get your reply. I am not at home at this time to give the model number. I will reply at 6pm when home to give you this information.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Model # XXXXX my Maytag Washer is

MVWX500XW1

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Other.
No reply in over an hour
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Hello

My name is XXXXX XXXXX X am an authorized Maytag service tech and I can help you today. I am a different tech then before. For whatever reason the previous tech is not answering you and I can help you if you would like?

If this washer will not rinse and spin at times does that mean that it does at times and some other times it doesn't? If so, does it not spin when it is a larger load?

And does the washer drain?

Please get back to me here with the answers to those questions and I will be able to better help you. And inThe meantime I will look up your model info so that I can use the most accurate and up to date info.

Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It started out skipping the drain/spin cycle sometimes. Now it skips the drain/spin cycle every time. The lid isn't staying locked through the entire wash cycle anymore either. We've only had the machine for 13 months.

Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Ok. I have the model info and diagrams in front of me now.

This is either the centennial or bravos style machine. Sometimes also made under whirlpool name and the cabrio model. There is a belt under the machine that will usually get caught up on either the motor pulley or pulley cover. If you could please pull the machine forward about a foot or two and lean or tilt the machine back towards the wall you should Beale to get under the machine easily to inspect the drive belt. Rest the machine up or prop it up under if you have to but it is important that you get under the machine to check the belt and cover.

After tilting and resting the machine and looking under it at the belt if you notice the belt is either loose or coming off the pulley you will most likely notice the black belt shavings in and around the belt cover. The belt cover may even be ripped or damaged as well.
If you see this just remove the 5/16 screws to the belt cover on either side of the pulley and remove the cover to expose the belt. Then with power off to the machine remove the belt and check to see if it to is damaged. If the belt is damaged then replace it.

Now you will notice the smaller pulley the belt goes around, the plastic one, if it is loose to the point where you can lift it up or down about an inch then you need to tighten down the nut inThe center of it. That nut is the nut that keeps the pulley tight against the pulley shaft. And if it is loose or loosens then that would cause extras slack on the belt and could cause the machine to not rinse and spin at times. Usually on larger loads.

Basically if the belt looks loose just tighten the pulley nut and make sure the tension on the belt when you put everything back is tight. If not let me know and I will help you more.
If you notice the belt or the pulleys are off completely then replace them both.

Like I said above, this is a common problem on your machine given the compliant you have. I see it at least once or twice a week. And can be very easily fixed. And cheaply as well.

Please check that and get back to me here if you need any other help or have any other questions and I will help you more.

Thanks.

Just got your response now about the lid and how long you have been having this problem. First if the machine is only13 months old then I would call whirlpool, that is who owns maytag now, and tell them the troubles you are having and they will usually send some one out for free to check it under warranty. Since your warranty expires after 12 months they are usually pretty good with satisfying the customer.

If the lid doesn't lock that could be the problem as well. If the lid doesn't lock then the machine will think the lid is open and will not spin or drain or even wash. So if th lid just keeps clicking then you have a bad lid lock or control.

And for sure I would first try calling whirlpool. They will come out for free and check it for free and replace the parts if needed for free. That would be the easiest way to do things.

But if for some reason they don't come out to you for free get back to me here and I will help you more.

If you feel that I have helped to answer your questions please remember to rate my performance positively below with ok service or better rating. And if you have more questions you can always comeback to me where and I will help you more for no additional charge.

Thanks.

Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience: Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the positive rating. It is greatly appreciated.

Should you have more questions or need more help please get back to me here and I will help you more for no additional charge.

Thanks again.