Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

we have whirlpool model gu2700xtsbo. all of a sudden there

Customer Question

we have whirlpool model gu2700xtsbo. all of a sudden there is no power stopped mid cycle. there is power to machine I checked. also took out thermal fuse and jumped wires still no power appears anywhere. tried shutting of breaker for few minute then back on...nothing. thoughts?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

where did you check power to the machine ? at the board ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

down below where main feed comes in.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay .can you see if your getting voltage to the board ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

not sure how to do that. all i have is a simple light tester with 2 leads. no meter.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
oh okay. with that I don't believe you can. what happens a lot on these is a wire will break in the harness that goes up to the board, they can break right where the door opens and shuts and the wiring harness bend a lot. the other thing you can check is the door switches, if one failed then no power. you really need a volt meter to do the correct tests. check those things, its most likely one of them.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

let me check friends toolbox for volt meter. if i get one where do i test to see if the board is getting power? same for door switches. It looks like 2 micro switches?

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
yes there are two micro switches, when closed the switches should have continuity. as far as testing for power go to ground and check power at the main in on the board. one of the spades shown by the arrows will have power. usually red wire connected.or Black. graphic
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i went to white wire with red stipe and ground wire on door with my light tester and there is power there.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
theres power to the board but it wont light up ? were you able to test the door switches yet ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no not yet. will bring home volt meter tonight and test.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay let me know. thanks , Bryan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

alright. I have a gardener bender digital multimeter. not sure which setting is for continuity but set on the 200 mark and crossed the probes and get a .3 or .4 reading. next i tested the switches for the door latch. when the latch is in the open position i get nothing as expected. when I have someone hold the switch in the closed position the meter jumps around to various readings. I'm assuming i have continuity there? If so, what's next?

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay you did that on both switches? if so and there good its looking like it may be the control board, this is the thermal fuse you checked before correct ? click this link and theres a video to show you how to test continuity on that. you do the same with the switches, "they test the same" http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Thermal-Fuse/W10258275/1549751?modelNumber=GU2700XTSB0
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Tested both door switches and the thermal fuse and all 3 have continuity.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay , and you have power at the board. so that leaves the board thats bad. heres a link where you can order that and they have a full money back guaranty even if you installed it and it didn't fix the issue. http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Main-Control-Board/W10084141/1373167?modelNumber=GU2700XTSB0 I'm pretty confident it will however. thanks and best wishes, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thanks for the help Bryan. First time doing a chat repair...was hoping for a cheaper fix but glad to know what the problem is and like doing it myself with a 'little' help from an expert. So, thanks again...glad your out there for all of us that know just enough to be dangerous. Hope you're able to make a living at it.....we need you!

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
your very welcome, I hope everything goes well. sometimes thing are difficult to fix on line. have a great day, thanks , Bryan