Jon
Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
60802242

hello, I have a whirlpool dishwasher and it stops partway thru

hello, I have a whirlpool dishwasher and it stops partway thru the cycle and the start button blinks, at this point there is still water sitting in the bottom and you have to hit cancel to empty the water. I have tried resetting the computer but it did not do anything.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.

Jon :

are you sure the door is not opening? even a slight opening int he door would cause the latch to not make direct contact and could cause the machine to fail like it is now for you.

Jon :

Hello

Jon :

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am an authorized Whirlpool service tech and I can help you today

Jon :

If the machine didnt reset after trying it once when this happened we could try to put the dishwasher control board into a diagnostic check cycle then reset the main computer and see if that works. which usually does about 70% of the time.

Customer:

yes the door is closing because i can cancel the cyle.

Jon :

I would just need to know the full model number of your dishwasher so i could look up the model specific info to help you best. and get the reset steps.

Jon :

you will be able to cancel the cycle at any time on most machines. no matter if the door was opened or closed. it doesnt have to be locked and latched to cancel.

Jon :

so please make sure that the door is first closing and closing properly and latching.

Customer:

we tried resetting with hitting keys in a specific order....all the lights came on but I am not sure if it worked...

Customer:

I will check the serial number now

Jon :

what is the full model number found on the model tag in the machine?

Jon :

ok. what sequence did you use? the normal hetaed dry or temp and air dry sequence?

Jon :

and did all the lights come on after trying the reset and then did you hit cancel? if not, then the reset wasnt not entered correctly

Jon :

get me the full model number fo the machine and we will try the reset now. it should only take about 10 mins.

Customer:

ok yes it was latched, i pushed hard and nothing happened

Jon :

and if that doesnt work and you are sure the lock and latch assembly in the door is good, then you are looking at a bad main control

Customer:

mod kodko3itbl3

Jon :

ok. good about the latch. it looks like we will need to do the reset.

Customer:

ser fw2506743

Jon :

thank you for the model. be right back to look up the info. dont go anywhere.

Jon :

are you sure it is int a kUd? most whirlpool dishwasher models start with kud

Jon :

sometimes the u can look like an o. please doubel check

Jon :

thanks

Customer:

i don't remember the sequence but the lights came on and then we hit cancel...did it twice

Jon :

ok. can you check the model number, thanks

Customer:

yes it starts with kud

Jon :

ok. and the rest of the number is XXXXX?

Customer:

yes model kudk03itbl3 the zero might be an o?

Jon :

got it. the model is kudk03itbl3

Customer:

ok good

Jon :

ok. you have the common whirlpool dish

Jon :

so you are seeing the lights on your display and control panel correct?

Customer:

yes

Jon :

ok. good

Jon :

now with the machine powered on but in stand by mode ( no cycle selected and lights to the control panel ) hit this sequence of buttons,

Jon :

normal wash then heated dry, normal wash then heated dry, normal wash then heated dry.

Jon :

the lights on the control should all light up briefly

Jon :

if they do then you are in diagnostics

Jon :

if not, then try ti again.

Jon :

after getting into diagnostics hit the start button once.

Customer:

ok....i just hit cancel and it is draining water from the last failed cycle

Jon :

ok hit cancel again and it will be instand by mode

Jon :

there should be no lights on the control panel. but please let all the water first drain out fo the machine from previous cycle.

Jon :

then start the sequence. the machine has to be empty of water and in stand by for the reset to work.

Jon :

after you have entered the diagnostics then again hit start button once then wait for the water to start to come in. wait 5 seconds and while the machine is filling with water hit the cancel button once.

Jon :

this will reset the machine.

Customer:

ok draining now

Jon :

after you have done that set a new regular cycle and let it run. if it runs a complete cycle without stopping then you are good to go.

Jon :

if not, and it stops at the same place with same issue as before, then replace the main control

Jon :

ok. great.

Jon :

let me know how you do.

Customer:

i dont think i did the sequence right

Jon :

what happened or what did you do?

Customer:

i think i did the cycle right the first time but it was mad because it had to drain?

Jon :

huh?

Customer:

ok stoppped..hold on

Jon :

ok.

Jon :

it will take a little while for it to stop draining.

Jon :

has it stopped draining now?

Jon :

and make sure there are no lights or cycle selected on the control

Jon :

if not, proceed with the normal then heated dry 3xs

Jon :

then let me know when it is in diagnostics

Customer:

ok i did the sequence...lights can on....hit start...filling with water....?

Jon :

great

Jon :

good job

Jon :

now give it a fe seconds and hit the cancel button once.

Jon :

it should cancel the cycle and diagnostics

Customer:

ok i hit cance

Jon :

ok. great

Customer:

now what?

Jon :

did everything turn off?

Customer:

still draining

Customer:

i think i let it run too long

Jon :

ok good et it completely drain again and then when it is done select a regular wash cycle with out heated dry and let it run a full cycle

Customer:

ok so if it doesn't complete then we need a new what?

Jon :

if it runs through a complete cycle with out stopping like previously then you are good to go. and all you needed to do was reset the main control board.

Jon :

if it doesn't run a complete cycle then you need to replace the main control board.

Customer:

ok why no heated dry?

Jon :

here is the part info so you can order it and change it yourself. it is not a hard job to do. and if you do it yourself, it will save you about $150.

Customer:

how much is the main control board?

Jon :

no heated dry so the computer can accurately judge how hot your water supply is to the machine at first cycle.

Jon :

it needs to do that first after a reset of the board. after first run if it runs through fine then you can use the heated dry again.

Jon :

let me get the info for the control board. be right back.

Jon :

main control board is about $160 dollars.

Jon :

how old is you machine?

Jon :

i will tell you if it is worth it for you to replace?

Customer:

it was here when we bought the house

Customer:

lived her 3 yrs

Jon :

how long ago did you buy the house?

Jon :

ok. gotcha

Jon :

let me check the serial number to get date of manufacture. be right back.

Customer:

thanks

Jon :

you got it.

Jon :

ok this machine was manufactured on june 16th 2008 so that would make it less then five years old. definitely worht it for you to replace the control if you have to. if the machine was any older then 8 years it would be questionable. but since it is not, it should give you at least 5 more years of good use. and would be owrht it for you to spend the $150 or so on a new control boardf.

Jon :

the part info for the control board is

Jon :

main electronic control board part number W10084142

Customer:

ok great, where should we order it from?

Jon :

should cost about $150 and can be ordered at either www.repairclinic.com or www.marcone.com.

Customer:

are there any other problems it could be?

Jon :

or at your local appliance parts store.

Jon :

i would use repair clinic

Customer:

ok great...repair clinic it is

Jon :

they are the only on line parts warehouse still offering a no questions asked parts return, even on used parts, for up tp a year after date of purchase.

Customer:

ok so it for some strange reason it doesn't work we can return it

Jon :

so if it ends up that the machine should crap out on you in less then a year pull the board out again and send it back and they will credit you a refund.

Jon :

yes. definitely.

Jon :

one of the only places still doing this.

Customer:

great

Jon :

but it should definitely fix your problem though. i see it alot

Customer:

yeah!!!

Jon :

do you know how to change the main control?

Customer:

no...can i find instructions online?

Jon :

i can show you a video if you like? i think i may still have one, or can get one if you need it?

Jon :

let me see if i can get it for you now. be right back

Customer:

can you email it to me?

Jon :

no. unfortunately the website will block me from seeing your email and from you seeing mine.

Jon :

i will upload it here for you now.

Customer:

ok

Jon :

just click on the link above to view the video

Customer:

it worked..

Jon :

Now, i know the control board used in the video is not exactly the same as yours, nor is the model. but it is very closely similar and the video will serve as a referrence to show you how to change it.

Jon :

great. i knew it would

Jon :

just get back to me here if you need any questions answered and I will help you more.

Customer:

ok great

Jon :

and please remember to rate my performance positvely below this chat now with ok service or better rating

Customer:

one last question....when we do need a new dishwasher what should we buy?

Jon :

this is the only way that I get credit for helping you. and if you have more questions even after rating me positively, please feel free to get back to me here at any time and I will help you more for no additional charge.

Jon :

i would continue buying whirlpool or may tag. they are all made by whirlpool actually and for the money they are the best machine out there now. and i see them the least. which means they fail the least as well.

Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience: Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Brook,

Thank you for the positive rating. It is greatly appreciated.

Again, if and when you are ready to replace this machine, I would go with another Whirlpool. Or if you would like to step it up a model or two, or even go with the ever popular stainless look, then go with KitchenAid. Another company made by Whirlpool. and is even more reputable and reliable then Whirlpool brand for dishwashers.

KitchenAid is like a higher end version or model then Whirlpool. Whereas it would cost you about $400-$700 to get a good Whirlpool dishwasher, it would cost you about $700-1300 to get a good KitchenAid.

But for now, if you machine is working fine you should get a bunch more years out of it. just make sure you use a rinse aid like jet dry and use either a powder or gel detergent and not the gel packs. they stink and are expensive as well. And make sure to rinse off your dishes as best as you can. this will extend the life of your machine.

If you have any other questions or concerns please feel free to get back to me here and I will help you more for no additional charge.

Thanks again and have a good night.
Jon, Appliance Technician
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Brook,

Thank you for the very generous bonus as well. That too is greatly appreciated.

Have a good night.