MRANSWER
MRANSWER, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 YRS EXP. FACTORY TRAINED AND AUTHORIZED ON ALL MAJOR BRANDS
13971964

sub zero ice maker model 315LP stopped making ice

Category: Appliance
Expert:  MRANSWER replied 1 year ago.
This is an undercounter unit-correct? I know of no 315LP model, just a 315I which makes the cylindrical cubes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes, undercounter unit definitely has a P at the end of #'s

Expert:  MRANSWER replied 1 year ago.
Is the water circulating and the compressor running?

I need definite answers here, so do whatever you need to in order to reply correctly otherwise I cannot get anywhere here with you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

compressor running

water not circulating

Expert:  MRANSWER replied 1 year ago.
Check to see if the circulation pump is getting power or not then. I assume the unit has water in the reservoir to circulate; if not add some and see if the pump is running or not before worrying about any testing.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry not sure the steps to take? Circulation pump where do i find and where is the unit that should have water in the reservoir? Please do not get discourage with me with lack of knowledge. Thanks

Expert:  MRANSWER replied 1 year ago.
You need to pull unit out and get back off to see pump. You will need a voltmeter to see if it gets power if that check is needed. The reservoir is simply the whole plastic housing you see below the curtain that the cubes fall through- that's where the water circulates.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

pulling unit out no pump just a water line connected and an plug connected for power, no water circulates

Expert:  MRANSWER replied 1 year ago.
I said before the back must come off to see the pump.

Please read what I say carefully as there is no point in retyping what has already been discussed. The pump circulates water, so it could not possibly be outside of the unit.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I will need to time to absorb your attitude as i mentioned i am not a tecky

Expert:  MRANSWER replied 1 year ago.
take your time- I need you to follow what is said otherwise this will not work out.
I have no attitude other than one which wants to get this solved and that requires you to go by what I say. If you reply saying you did only 1/2 of what was needed and now what? - then you can easily see where I am coming from here.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

need time to get necessary tools, etc. Will be back at you and thank you for the explanation.

Expert:  MRANSWER replied 1 year ago.
No problem. Reply whenever.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

opened back and on top there is a pump with a fan and that is not moving

Expert:  MRANSWER replied 1 year ago.
You need to see if it's getting power as that is the only way to know if it is the pump or not that is out.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It overheated it's a Scotsman part# XXXXX

Expert:  MRANSWER replied 1 year ago.
If nothing foreign has blocked the impeller then you need a new pump here. I would make sure the ice mold gets cold just to make sure the unit is refrigerating fine otherwise you are throwing good money after bad by buying a new pump.

If mold is freezing then problem is figured out and it is no major job to replace the pump. You may want to buy new hoses that connect to the pump as they do break down.
MRANSWER, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 30 YRS EXP. FACTORY TRAINED AND AUTHORIZED ON ALL MAJOR BRANDS