Jon
Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
60802242

I have a De Dietrich refrigerator-fridge model DKP

Customer Question

I have a De Dietrich refrigerator-fridge model DKP 825X I bought in France - and I live now in ARgentina, where there is no service for this brand. The panel doesn't work anymore. Some days ago I left the fridge door badly closed and left for more than 24h. When I came back, the door was beeping and there was some ice in the bottom part of the fridge. I closed the door but then the refrigerator started working badly. I've decided to turn it off. It's been 48h but no good news.

Category: Appliance
Expert:  Rob replied 1 year ago.
Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be helping you with your problem today. If anything isn't clear, please just ask me.
It looks like Jon is not here right now, sorry

Sorry for the delay in replying, I only just came on line and saw your question. Are you still looking for help with this?

Please don't rate my answer until we have explored all possible avenues. Please just use the reply button to contact me.

This may be the control board .

Are you getting no lights on the panel at all. Just the beeping? Is it constant or is there a number of beeps between pauses?

Can you also recheck that model number please?

Thanks

Rob

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Rob,

Thanks for replying. There is definitely a problem with the touch screen control board (I cannot access the commands properly as it were not "sensitive" enough) but I have no way of fixing it as the manufacturer does not operate in Argentina and it is very hard to import anything.

Last time I had a problem with this fridge I was able to solve it

through "manual reboot" basically turning it off for 3 days.

Right now what's happening is: it's been off for the last 72h (yesterday I attempted to turn it on but then decided to leave it off again to see what you were going to reply).

When I turn it on, there is a message that comes in the control board that says: door open and the retangle that indicates the fridge temperature blinks, altogether with a beep that is continuous (as an alarm let's say). It's exactly the same sound as when the door is left open, with the difference that the fridge door is not open.

Maybe there can be a problem with the sensor that identifies if the fridge door is open or not?

'm waiting your response to decide what to do.

Many thanks

Expert:  Rob replied 1 year ago.

Hi
Thanks for the information.
Unfortunately I cant find any schematic diagram on this exact model. The one I have is completely different to yours, , so ill opt out while I continue to look.
This opens the question to others as well
If any of us find an answer for you, we will respond and you will get a message from the site.

In the meantime, the question will go back to the top of the list.

Please DO NOT rate or respond to this message as that will just lock the question
Thanks
Rob

Expert:  Michelle-Mod replied 1 year ago.

It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!

Michelle

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for letting me know what is happening.

I am ok to continue for an answer nevertheless the subject is quite urgent to me beacuse my fridge is off.

In the past I was very happy with the assistance Jon Grella was able to provide but apparently he was offline when I posted the question.

Maybe you can check with him?

Thanks

Rosaline

Hello Rosaline,

I will check to see if Jon is available. If he isn't I'll continue to look for someone else to assist you.

Thank you for your patience,
Michelle
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
High Rosaline,

I am here now. Sorry for the delay. Sometimes I am not online as much as I would like to be. Now a days it is a little hectic and trying to find time to get on line to help has become harder and harder. My wife and I are preparing for baby number 2 any minute now. So to say it has been a little crazy here would be a understatement.

Anyway, I am here now and reviewed the notes you posted. And if you have accidentally left the door to the ref open for several hours this would cause the machine to constantly run to over compensate for the warmer air getting into the cold ref. now when this happens the warm air getting into the cold ref causes a build up of condensation. And when that condensation is left for longer periods of time it will freeze. Giving you the ice you said you had around the door.

Also, if this machine was constantly running and you had the build up of condensation in and around the door that alone could affect the control board. Sometimes the extra moisture and condensation left around the door could cuase the control board to short out and not function properly. Or even at all.

Believe it or not this does happen often. Especially off the door is left open for extended periods of time. S don't feel bad. You are not the only one. It was just a silly mistake and I am sure you will never do it again.

So as far as for the repair I would first turn the machine off again for about 2 days. Then take a hair dryer to the control panel. Just fan warm air over the whole control panel fanning back and forth about 4-8 inches away from it. You don't want to burn the control. The warm air will help with the build up of moisture and condensation, if any is till in the control, and will help to dry it out. And will also help to soften the control board and some times causes the control to operate again.

I the control works after fanning warm air over it for about 20 minutes then great. Just make sure it is responsive as normal when hitting the buttons and controls. And just turn it on and keep a close eye on the way it cools for the next couple of days. I it seems to be working fine, great. Leave it and you should be good.

I the control still doesn't operate properly or at all after the warm air the unfortunately you will have to replace it. It is harder for me to get parts info for you since you are over seas from me here in New York. But I will and can call the manufacturer for you into get parts info for the control board? Other than that, I would recommend going to the local appliance parts store and seeing if they stock parts for your brand and model. I they don't maybe they can get it. And if they can't then you are left to call the manufacturer directly to see if they have any local distributors in your area. And finally if they don't have any of those, then you will have to order the parts on line after getting the parts info.

I may be harder then we think but I do think it can be done to get you parts. We just need to do a little digging that's all.

Get back to me here if you have any other questions and I will help you more. And again, sorry for the delay.

Please also remember to rate my performance positively below this chat again if you feel that I have held to answer your questions. Tis is the only way that us experts get credit for helping you with your questions. And after you accept you can continue chatting with me for no additional charge. And of course if you have more questions please comeback to me here and I will help you more for no additional charge.

Talk with you soon.
Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience: Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the positive rating. It is greatly appreciated.

Did you try my suggestions? Please let me know if you need any other help or have any other questions and I will help you more for no additional charge.

Thanks again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Jon,

Yes, I've tried the fan and it didn't work. I'd like your help ASAP to get the info about the parts I need (and their cost in the US) and then I'll try ti get them here.

Otherwise I'll have to find a way of having them sent to me - courier is not a very reliable approach when we're talking about South America, but we can find a way.

What worries me is that I have no fridge for more than a week and I have a 5 year old son - as you know, as they drink milk all the day it's really troublesome to not have a fridge.

Thanks for your prompt response.

Regards

Rosaline

Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
High Rosaline,

I am sorry to hear that this ref is still not working right for you. Is it the control panel that is still not working or is it the temp?

If the control board is not working then the fan would not fix the problem. That would definitely be the control board. And again the damage would have been through leaving the door open for the extended period of time.

As far as for the parts, I cant look up your model number or machine since it is not made here. Quite honestly i have very limited information on this machine. If you cant find the parts for the control board there at a local appliance parts store then I would suggest calling in a local appliance service company, even if there are very few to choose from in your area, and have them repair it for you.

The only other thing you can do is call the manufacturer directly and have them get you the info. Like the part # and part detail and local distributers that have the parts.

If you have any other questions please get back to me here and I will help you more.

Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No, ok, thanks, I'll figure it out with someone here. My concern is that technicians here are not very honest around here, specially considering this is a very expensive appliance ...

Anyway thanks and I wish you everything turns well with the second baby!

Regards

Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Thank you again. And I am sorry I couldn't help you more. I know that it is a little harder when there is a machine that is made overseas from me and I don't have very much access to it.

If you feel that the local appliance service companies are less then reliable and honest then I would recommend calling the manufacture and seeing if you can get the part info for the board from them. Most times if you call their customer service number and ask for the parts department or even tell them exactly what is going on they may give you the info you need. I would start there.

Please let me know how you make out with the machine. And again, if I can be of any more assistance to you please feel free to get back to me here at any time and I will help you more for no additional charge.

Thanks again.