Jon
Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.

Our Bosch b26ft70sns fridge ice maker is full of ice and has

Customer Question

Our Bosch b26ft70sns fridge ice maker is full of ice and has stopped working. I need to figure out how to remove the ice maker and thaw it out. Please advise

If I can be more clear its the actual ice trays that are full of ice and are not rotating.  The ice storage box can be removed for access to the ice maker .

Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to helping you! Number 0409 is the ice maker. Once the auger is removed, I believe there is a screw on the LH side that secures it to the wall. Once removed, it should slide forward. Let me know what you find.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The screw was removed by the last service guy and not replaced. It doesn't secure the unit to the wall. It hangs on two short plastic ledges.

There is something behind the ice tray mechanism that is keeping it from coming forward more than two inches. Can't see back there to know what it is.

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
It may have a plastic tab that you pull down then slide forward, but usually it slides once that screw is removed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The screw on the left has been gone for two years. It obviously does nothing. No tabs. I have had my head in the fridge for two days looking for anything that might loosen this ice maker. I need to get information on what is behind the ice maker that is securing it.

Expert:  Michelle-Mod replied 1 year ago.

It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!

Michelle

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I can wait to see if someone comes up with an answer. I have checked on You Tube but there is nothing there. Must be a tough nut to crack

Expert:  Gina-Mod replied 1 year ago.
Hello:

Thank you for your continued patience. We will continue the search for a Professional for you.

Best,

Gina~Moderator
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name isXXXXX an authorized Bosch service tech and I can help you today. Just so I'm clear, your main concern here is just getting the ice maker out and not the augur assembly behind it? There are three different ways that this ice maker is installed. If you do not see screws above and below, there will be screws on the sides and or tabs that the ice maker needs to be lifted off of in order to be removed. If you see none of those things on your ice maker, please get back to me here. Are you sure that this is not an after market ice maker that has been installed on this machine? Please allow me some time to look up the model number you listed and the diagrams for your machine so that I am able to help you better. If you could please, take another look at the ice maker and let me know where the screws are located I will be better able to help you. In the meantime I will look at the diagrams and get back to you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Jon,

There is a screw on the face plate that holds the ice maker in place. That is removed. It looks like there was a screw on the left side that is long gone. There are plastic brackets on the top that hold the ice maker in place. Once the ice maker has been moved forward about two inches the ice maker drops down slightly off the brackets. Then something in the back is holding the unit from moving forward. Its not solid and can be moved a bit but I'm worried about snapping some plastic if I pull too hard. This is the second ice maker in this fridge. I have no idea if its after market.

Bonuses are delivered for a good answer provided.

Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Hello Again.

I have the diagrams of the machine and see exactly what model ref and ice maker you have.

It is a little harder then most but still very easily removed.

First you need to remove the ice cube tray or bin under the ice maker, if you havent done so already.

You will also notice a few screws under the cover of the ice maker assembly near the very front of the cover. And even one on the right side of the cover. Remove those screws and pull the front cover off the ice maker cover.

With this off you will have enough room to remove the ice maker from the ice maker housing.

Now there will be either be one or two screws in the front of the ice maker. but these screws will actually go through the ice maker to the roof of the if the freezer cabinet. The screws will be hidden. so with one hand feel the top front part of the ice maker for the screw (s) and once felt remove them.

You will notice the front end of the ice maker hang down a bit. That is good. That means that the ice maker is free and can now be slide to the front of the ice maker assembly until it just comes out. It is simply held in by clips and will come off. If it feels like it is held in by more then that, dont worry, it is isn't. Just give it a good grab and pull towards you.

With the ice maker freed you can removed the wired connection and pull it paste the fill tube coming through the top of the ref.

You should now be able to see if the ice make has frozen up entirely.

I have to say though, I have seen these machines a lot lately, and more specifically for the problems with the ice maker. Either maker too much or not enough ice.

Now before trying to removing any pieces and before working on this machine did you happen to notice a lot of ice build up in and around the ice maker? if so, I would first just try to manually defrost the ice maker and assembly with a hair dryer. Remove the ice maker bin and take the hair dryer and fan it all over the ice maker and cover, especially in the back of the ice maker assembly, for about an hour. This should defrost all the lines and evaporator. and fix the problem.

If no build up of ice and just a lot of ice being produced then problem is solely in the ice maker board. It si not receiving the signal form the ice maker that the tray is full as well as the bin and will continually make ice.

Again, like i said before, there is many known problems with this style ice maker. And not just with this make and model ref. It is with all french door ref with the ice maker in the top left of the ref. The problem is that in order to have an ice maker in the ref cabinet it has to have its own evaporator to produce the coldest temps needed to make the ice. And when they have done this it has caused problems with the production of ice and the way it actually makes it.

So whether it is making to much ice or not enough because it is frozen there will always be problems with this machine and ice maker in particular.

Please try to remove the ice maker in the way that I described and get back to me here if you have any other problems. Or if you would like to just defrost the ice maker assembly first that is recommended, that is fine too.

Just get back to me here and let me know how you make out.

Thanks.
Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience: Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the positive rating and very generous bonus as well. It was greatly appreciated.

If you still have trouble getting the ice maker out of your machine you can defrost the ice maker and housing with the ice maker in place. Just take a hair dryer and manually defrost the ice maker and housing fanning warm air over the whole area. And keeps some towels under the ice maker assembly to catch any dripping water. It should take about an hour or so if the ice make is completely covered.

Please get back to me here again if you need more help or have more questions and I will help you more for no additional charge.

Thanks again.