Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have a Whirlpool Gold side by side refridgerator that is

Customer Question

I have a Whirlpool Gold side by side refridgerator that is about 8 years old. Everything is working except the light on the refrigerator side and the display that gives the settings for each side. I have ohmed the door switch and it seems to be fine and I am getting 110Volts at the wires going to the door switch. Any ideas?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

Can you get us the full model number ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

GS5SHAXN(either B or 8)00

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay its a B00, now the light is staying on and the controls are not lighting up or is it the light wont come on and neither will the control ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The light on the freezer side works fine. But Neither the light nor the led display work on the refrigerator side. The control knobs still work because I can turn the unit off with them. Just no lights on refrigerator side.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay , When you ohmed the door switch did you remove one wire from it first ? and did it have continuity ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I actually removed both wires and just ohmed through the switch itself. Had continuity with switch open, no continuity when switch was closed, like if the door was closed. The measured the voltage from just the wires and had ~110V.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay unfortunately thats not good then. it means the main control board has failed. Main Control Board W10135090 Main Product Viewthis board controls the the light and controls. on the test which wire had power to it on the light switch ? the yellow/red ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I don't know. I was in a rush and just applied the red lead to one wire and the black lead to the other wire and saw that I had 110. Would it make sense that the board failed but the freezer light still works, the controls still work and the unit still remains cold? Looking at the picture, any chance it is simply accessing the board, unplugging a plug, plugging in a new board and it's done?

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
yes the board can fail in many ways without affecting the cold or compressor, as you can see in the picture the are multiple relays that run different functions , also there a transformer that runs the control lights, but before replacing it I would recheck the switch wires but got to a ground with the black lead from the meter and test both wires one at a time. the red/yellow wire should have 120 volts to ground. can you do that ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I can later, I am currently at work and won't be home until about 6.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Just out of curiosity, how much is the board and where do I order it from?

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay I'll be on tonight. the control board runs around$244.00 thats why i need you to test a few things first, heres a link to the board. http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Main-Control-Board/W10135090/1394052?modelNumber=GS5SHAXNB00 talk later, thanks , Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok, How do I contact you tonight?

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
just come back and sign back in and I will receive it .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry, just got to this. Yes, the yellow wire with the red stripe gives me 110 V with the black lead to ground. Got nothing from the other wire. Also, hooked yellow/red wire to switch and checked other pole of switch and was getting the 110V.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Did you get my response about the voltage at the door switch?

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
yes sorry, I just got back.I need to see if I can find the tech sheets on this. I'll let you know as soon as I can.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok. Just let me know what I need to do next!

Thanks

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay from everything I see on the wiring diagrams the yellow wire goes back to the board, so this tells us the board is bad. the board completes the circuit. if your getting power to the red and yellow wire the board isn't completing to the neutral. You need to replace the board, thanks , Bryan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Where exactly is that board located that I am replacing? I thought it would be in that area with the LED lights, control knobs, and light bulb in the top of the refrigerator side. However, last night I took the plastic cover off and saw a board that the controls knobs went into, but it didn't look like the board you sent me the picture of.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
Its in the back in a box near the compressor, its part number 18 on this diagram.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
on some of these its in between the coils ,take a flashlight and look for a gray or black box.