Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I am having trouble with my oven getting to the setpoint temperature.

I am having trouble with my oven getting to the setpoint temperature. I can see the flame thru the little hole in the lower portion of the oven, it flickers, goes out and then relights.

I have a rather large party going on this Sunday with a lot of baking I must do, so I will need the parts rather quickly.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

Good morning, do you have the model number ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No I am at work and no one is at home at this time. not until about 5 pm EDST

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay. I wont be here after 5 today unfortunately. the most likely reason for your issue is the oven igniter. Oven Igniter 492431          Main Product Viewthis is what opens the safety valve. heres a link where you can order this but I would use your model number to order it so you get the correct one. this is located down under the floor of the oven where you see the flame trying to light. theres a video there to show you how to test it also. heres the link. http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Oven-Igniter/492431/1107469
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

does this thing go bad all at once or does it degenerate over time. Like I had said before that the flame goes out and then relights

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

where is the model no found on the range, it is not on the door

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
These can go out slowly, it may light but the igniter is weak and doesn't hold the gas valve open, so it will try to relight but cant. the model number could be anywhere on this model. if there a flip down panel in the front it may be behind that, some have them under the top if that lifts up. its really hard to say to be honest.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Bryan,

Your answer was right on. I changed the ignitor and the oven is working just like new. thank you

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
thats great, glad to hear your all set, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Bryan,

how do I pay for that answer. I have another question on the same range

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
you already paid me for the first answer, you can give me a bonus if you want if I can help you fix the other issue, thats up to you. what is the new question ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The same range Model # PRSG 304s Serial #98020020F one burner does not

fire up as much as the others. I switched the burner caps where the flame comes out but there was no change. The gas openings were clean

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
oh okay. well these burners are controlled by a gad solenoid.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
this however should be done by a gas tech unfortunately. this is part of the gas system , If this is installed incorrectly and theres a leak at all its very dangerous, these have orifices on the burners that cant be adjusted so my guess would be the solenoid isn't opening fully.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Bryan. my background is; i am a licensed mechanical engineer with a master plumbers license in the state of new jersey I have delt with low and high pressure gas for the Elizabethtown gas compamy for many years. So what I need from you is where is this part located and a part no.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
oh wow great ! sorry I didn't know that. many people with no experience try to do this and you know how that turns out sometimes ! not good. just being safe thats all. these are under the main top after the gas manifold. # 76 on this diagram.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
these also have control valves, one is number 60 on the diagram. its hard to say which is causing your issue though. I see the valves fail more than the controls though. the part number is 411253 heres a link to the part. http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Gas-Valve-Solenoid/411253/1013831?modelNumber=PRSG304S
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i tried to uncrew part # 92 out but was afraid i would break something. How does this part come out. Are you sure that #60 is a control valve? I do not see where there is gas tied into it

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
they do have gas lines running to them. I think there in between number 83,84,85 the diagrams don't really show that though. 92 is the venturi. they do unscrews bur be careful.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Do yu have a parts list that goes long with the exploded view of the range

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Bryan,

I will let you know how I make out by Friday. Cannot work on it tonight

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay, thanks and have a great week !

Register Here
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes we are good for now. I have not had time to look for that control valve yet. probably Saturday or Sunday

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay , thanks.