Bernard S.
Bernard S., HD TV, Large Appliance Sales
Experience:  27 Years Managing Stores, Operations and Selling Appliances
8697087

Our standard Dometic refrigerator (DM2652LBX, Serial # XXXXX)

Our standard Dometic refrigerator (DM2652LBX, Serial # XXXXX) will cool fine with house current for days when the STW cord is plugged in at home into a regular house outlet (via a plug adapter). But, when we go to campgrounds and plug into their 30-50 amp service via the STW outlet, it stops cooling after a day or so and we must switch to propane. Any helpful ideas?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Rob replied 1 year ago.
Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be helping you with your problem today. If anything isn't clear, please just ask me.

Sorry for the delay in replying, I only just came on line and saw your question. Are you still looking for help with this?

Please don't rate my answer until we have explored all possible avenues. Please just use the reply button to contact me.

The only thing that comes to mined here, is if the unit is level.

These units must be level or they will eventually fault as you have described.

Check it out next time you are away and let me know

Thanks

Rob

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, the unit has been level. This has been going on ever since I bought this new PUMA trailer 2 years ago.

Expert:  Rob replied 1 year ago.
Hi Roger
Thanks for your reply.
I really cant think of any other reason why it would work at home but not in a campground, sorry.

So ill opt out while I continue to look.
This opens the question to others as well
If any of us find an answer for you, we will respond and you will get a message from the site.

In the meantime, please DO NOT rate or respond to this message as this will lock the question

Thanks
Rob

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I still have not heard from anybody else on my particular problem. If I cannot get any solution, do I get my deposit back?

Expert:  Rob replied 1 year ago.
Hi Roger

Ill put the question back to the top of the list again for you.

Your deposit is refundable. Please see here

Thanks
Rob
Expert:  Michelle-Mod replied 1 year ago.

It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!

Michelle

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes I can wait for a while (but not before the times runs out for me to get a refund if nobody can provide help). The professionals should have some knowledge about home plug in vs campground 30-50 amp plug in. I keep thinking it may be a problem with the circuitry in the unit itself, which may just have to be replaced. If this is the recommendation from your experts, then I think a refund is in order.

We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

Thank you for your patience,
Michelle

I apologize as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you like for us to close your question at this time?

Thank you for your patience,

Michelle

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Go ahead and continue to search. I am wondering if your experts feel that it might be a problem withs the unit and would just need to be replaced (I have an extended warranty on it).

Please understand it is rare for us not to be able to find the right Professional to assist our customers. We can either return your good faith deposit to the original funding source, or we can keep your deposit on your account here for future questions.

Please let me know how you wish to proceed and again I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

I hope you will give JustAnswer a try again in the future,

Michelle

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Go ahead and continue to search.

If no one can help this week then just refund my deposit.

I am wondering if your experts feel that it might be a problem withs the unit and would just need to be replaced (I have an extended warranty on it).

Expert:  Bernard S. replied 1 year ago.
HI Roger,

This is a tough one. So, the truth is It attracts me to it!

I've review the information that I can obtain about your refrigerator. What I can't find is the minimum requirement of amperage that they recommend.

I focused on this from your comments - "when we go to campgrounds and plug into their 30-50 amp service via the STW outlet, it stops cooling after a day or so and we must switch to propane."

This service is not what we have become accustomed to in our modern homes.

The service that would be provide at campgrounds may NOT consistently supply the refrigerator with the amperage that it really needs. If your use a couple of electrical items that draw from the 30-50 amp service this would reduce what the refrigerator will get and it will not perform correctly. In your house the amperage will be far more consistent so that would explain why you experience no problems at home.

Some possible solutions might be -

1. Remove all other items that are consistently drawing power. This will include all chargers that are plugged in, heating devices, any other cooling devices, motors that are run from the 120 volt supply, televisions (especially older "Tube" type models").

2. Test the amperage at the outlet that is supplying the refrigerator several times during the day. If the amperage is lower than the minimum requirement for your refrigerator (which should be shown on a sticker on the motor) request a 2nd 30-50 amp service line that you will use ONLY for the refrigerator.

Because I have never had this one before (in 27 years) I hoping that this will solve your problem. Please let me know if you would like more information and/or clarification.

Also, please do NOT accept this answer unless you find it useful.

Sincerely,

Bernie

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

What you say does make sense, but shouldn't a refrigerator designed for campers take this into consideration so it will work regardless of amperage changes and what would be considered "normal items" that would be plugged into camper outlets?

Expert:  Bernard S. replied 1 year ago.
HI Roger,

I would agree that you might expect it to work. However, it really depends on how many items are being used. No refrigerator would be expected to perform correctly if there was not sufficient amperage.

The design of your model may require a minimum amperage that is not available when even a few items are being used at the same time.

The designers may also feel that the unit can simply kick over to the LP option (when it needs to) at a campsite. Also, although the campsite may state that they have 50 amps available that may not be correct. If it is ONLY 30 amps, you may find that it gets used up quickly with only a couple of other items.

To confirm all this you will need to check exactly what the amperage requirement is (it should be listed on the motor on the unit). Next, you then can test the outlet when you have everything else that you use plugged in and going. This is the only way to test this hypothesis.

Please let me know how you make out. I always like learning how my customers made out.

Bernie

Experience: 27 Years Managing Stores, Operations and Selling Appliances