Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

whirlpool dishwasher leaks at left bottom of door and has replaced

Customer Question

whirlpool dishwasher leaks at left bottom of door and has replaced the rubber seal and didn't do the job. Have had the inside of the door off several times and can't figure where the leak is coming from. There is a piece that snaps on the bottom of the door inside the panel that was loose when removed. Thought maybe it wasn't put back right. Can't tell by the diagram of manual.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

how much water is leaking out ? does this just drip or is it a lot ? is this the piece your not sure you put on right ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It leaks a pretty strong drip, almost a stream. And that is the piece we put on but not sure in the right place.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay. that piece snaps on the bottom of the plastic liner you removed. I'm wondering if one of the seals for the dispenser is leaking. was there any streaks down inside the door when you opened it up ? was the insulation wet ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I don't know if the insulation was wet but it was discolored in places. But I thought that was caused when I opened the door and the water dripped under the vent at the top of the door. Where is this seal?

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
there are a few and I believe the seal that bad is the vent seal from what your saying. these don't come separate though its part of the vent cap. are both your deflectors in place. Deflector(NNN) NNN-NNNN        Main Product Viewthey sit down in the front corners of the tub. number 12 on this diagram.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes the deflecters are in the slot they are always in cause I checked that when it started to leak first. There is only one way they fit in place, right?

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
yes they fit the curvature of the tub. if they were in wrong you would know. try this. take some Vaseline and put it around the gasket. see if the leak stops. let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The gasket you are talking about is the one on the tub that we put in new?

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
yes. this will help it seal if the tub has warped at all. if the leak stops then thats the issue. the heat from the dishwasher can warp the plastic causing it to leak.
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I will have to let you know tomarrow because I'm at work. I don't have a computer at home.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay I'll watch for your reply. this should tell us if its the tub or a seal in one of the door skin covers.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry, I took so long today, just a little busy. I put vaseline on seal and its leaks same as before. Checked the plastic shield that we found loose to see if it was on right and it is worped a little. Could this be the problem? But it looks to me that is isn't going to keep any water from getting in. We even tried to see if it would fit on the front of the tub but that didn't work either. Help!!!

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay if the shield is warped a bit that can do it.these can also shrink from the heat so It could be a combo of the two. Try replacing that and see if that takes care of the issue. heres a link to the part . http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Door-Frame/3369479/523172
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the link and I called the 800 number that was on the link and got that ordered. Won't get it till Saturday so will let you know Monday. Okay?

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
thats fine , I'll watch for your reply. one more thing. on the dispenser door theres a latch and the also has a small rubber gasket that deteriorates and when that happens water can get through and run down the inside of the door and come out the bottom .you might want to take a look at that also.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi, took yesterday off and didn't look at your last reply till now so will go home tonight and check out the rubber gasket if I can figure out where it is.

I got the other part Saturday and it didn't make any difference. Will check with you tomarrow. Thanks.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
your welcome, let me know. thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Just about forgot to check in with you, my husband had it apart last night when I got home. Does this little piece suppose to have a rubber seal on it? Or is there suppose to be a seal of some sort in the hole that it fits in? It looks like there's a paper thin seal made in the door piece that is little piece fits in. He's about ready to forget it and buy me a new washer. I'm not wanting to do that just yet.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
which little piece ? the seal for the soap part ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

This little piece is the one you sent the picture of that holds the soap door down. The hole that it fits in looks like it has a paper thin seal in it.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
actually that paper thin seal is the part I showed you. maybe yours is worn thin so it doesn't look the same. it slides over the lock latch piece. that may be your issue, water gets by and drips down to the bottom.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Can you get just that paper thin seal or have to get the whole piece?

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
they only show this as a set. its only $4.50 just use the seal from it .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Do you have a part number that I can order one?

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
Dispenser Latch 676413 heres a link. http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Dispenser-Latch/676413/679921?modelNumber=DP840CWDB0
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you till the next time I talk to you. Got the part ordered and on the way. Cross your fingers that this part does the trick. I will let you know for sure.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay good luck and well wishes. Bryan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Good morning,

I got the part for the dishwasher Saturday and my husband put it on and it didn't solve the problem. So we are closing this case and buying a new washer. He's tired of trying to figure out what it can be. It looks like it's pretty simple as far as parts and how it should work but nothing seems to be helping. He says it's old enought to replace. So thanks for all your trouble and time. I sure do appreciate it.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
your very welcome I'm sorry it didn't work out and we didn't find the leak. have a great day and thanks, Bryan