Jon
Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
60802242

I have a GE GFSS6KKXASS refrigerator and suddenly the panel

Customer Question

I have a GE GFSS6KKXASS refrigerator and suddenly the panel lock and ice lock goes on and off at random almost continuously. All through the night and all day. we here the annoying chiming as if someone is repeatedly pressing the button. I am unable to select crushed or cubed ice and I cannot access any of the temperature adjustments on the unit. Is this a control board issue or the display itself? The unit appears to be cooling properly.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  gst85 replied 1 year ago.

Hi there and thank you for choosing this service. based on your problem i suspect that the main circuit board is faulty which is quite common based on your symptoms.

if you'd like, i can provide you with the part number, just let me know. thank you.

gst85, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: i have over 15 yrs experience in home appliance repairs and installs
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Well, I am back. purchased the main board and replaced. That appeared to fix it until tonight, April 15, 2013 and it is back to the same dinging as bad or worse. any new ideas???

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
I spent money on the answer then over $200 on the part and the problem is not corrected.
Expert:  Repairman1981 replied 1 year ago.

I think by reading over your last communication with gst85 ... there was probably some misunderstanding. there is a board on the front (called a main control panel) then there is a board on the back of the unit called a (Main control board) .... he was a bit to general and I'm guessing you changed the board on the back of the unit? If so you got the wrong board, you need the main control on the front with the controls on it. It's a shorted button causing the beeping and light response.

Repairman1981, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 7 years Repairing Appliances, Factory Trained in Several Major Brands
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I bet you are correct. How do I get information on the replacement of this control panel? It has a trim piece I am afraid I will break if I do not handle it properly.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I need specifics on how to disassemble and reassemble the door once I order the part. Where can I get this information???

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
I need to know where I can find the disassembly instructions.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Do you still need help with this machine?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, I was originally told I had a "main circuit board" out, so I replaced the circuit board in the back of the unit, the larger one that controls function, not the power board. Then, it started doing the same thing and another tech told me it was the control board on the front of the unit. I am willing to replace it if it will fix the problem, but I don't want to destroy the refrigerator trying to blindly disassemble to replace. It has a decorative piece around the fromt of it and approaching from inside the door does not look promising. All I can find online is the stupid operators manual that shows how to get your milk out.

Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
ok so it is the panel lock and ice lock goes on off automatically, correct?

has this happened after a recent power surge or outage recently? Usually the panel control in the front of the machine is at fault when things like this happen.

Have you reset the computer board yet? Or unplugged the unit and taken a hair dryer to the control panel in the door and fanned it back and forth to heat up the keypad and controls? This usually helps to free up any stuck keypad or relay on the control board.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have unplugged and reset trying to solve the problem before and after replacing the board in the back. The (lock/unlock) and (ice on/ice off) modes will frantically turn on and of for sometimes hours, then stop mysteriously for days.
This is a button we almost never use so I am surprised that it would be stuck. It acts much more like a short than a stuck button. I can attempt the heating, but do you have the disassembly instructions available in case I have to take that leap?

Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Ah! You didnt mention that before. You are getting the issue after replacing the main board in back? Is that correct?

If so, then it is possible that you either installed the wrong board or just forgot to take a look at the supplied instructions to update the wiring for the board. And I am not saying you didn't look at the instructions on purpose. It is quite the opposite. Sometimes the replacement boards for these machine go out to from the factories without the instructions. It happens all the time.

And if you have ordered a board but either ordered the wrong board or wrong version of the board you could experience problems like this. It is very common actually.

what was the part number of the board or parts you installed? I will check now to make sure that you have the right one.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Another possibility is that the ground strap or wire has not been properly grounded. Which would cause the issue.

Please get back to me here with the part number of the board you replaced and I will check to see that it was the right one.

Infact, let me look for you now.

The main circuit board is part number WR55X10805. This is the most up to date version of the board so if you have any other version or part number for this board then you have the wrong one.

Now if the board and part number is XXXXX then I would make sure that all the wires are good and connected where they should go. And make sure the ground strap and wire have been installed and installed correctly. If all of that is good there is a possibility that either the control board in front on the door or the power board are the problems.

Now before taking chances at replacing random boards again try the heating of the control board on the door first. This will usually work to fix a stuck or shorted relay. again, just get a hair dryer and fan the hot air over the board. keeping the hair dryer about 6 inches away from the plastic and fanning back and forth for about ten minutes.

Then plug the machine back in again and see if that helps to solve the problem. And remember to take the palm of you hand rub over all the keypads and buttons to feel for any stuck button or relays behind the buttons.

let me know what you get.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

AP4363388 (WR55X10805) MAIN CIRCUIT BOARD 1 $196.71

Above is from the invoice.

I will try your suggestions and get back with you.

Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
yes. that is the correct board.

Please try what i suggest and then get back to me here and tell me what happens. Get back to me here if you need more help.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok, I heated the front panel, unplugged and replugged with no success. I checked the ground wired at the base of the unit and they all appear to be solid.

I also pulled and reset all of the wire plugs on the new board I installed recently. Still dinging.

Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Ok. At this point then we will have to remove the front display cover and check the display board on the ref door.

Do you feel this is something that you can do?

On your machine there are several clips that hold the cover in place. And to remove all you need to do is stick a small thin putty knife in between the cover and door panel and gently pry away. Starting from the bottom left corner of the cover stick your putty knife in and pry it away from the door panel. Give a look in there and you should see the clips that hold the cover on. Now just go around in any direction you want while gently prying the cover off. If the cover doesnt come off with some gentle prying stop. And try again.

The cover is plastic and is very easy to crack or break. So if after trying a few times the cover feels like it will not come off, then stop and let me know.

With the cover off you will see a few screws to remove the display board. remove those and tell me if you see any damage to the board or wiring? If you see any damaged wires or the board itself has a burnt mark on it then that would need to replaced. Please also smell the board. I know this sounds crazy, but sometimes the board and wiring will show no signs of burns or damage. But sometimes may smell like it has burnt up. So give a whiff and tell me if it smells burnt?

If no burnt or any other physical evidence nor odor to the board or wiring then next check to make sure the wiring is fully connected to the board. Or even better yet, remove each connection one by one and re seat back on place to the board. This will ensure that all the connectors are connected properly.

If all of this is ok then you will need to replace the display board.

Please try that and get back to me here and let me know what you find.

Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I successfully removed the display cover and then removed the circuit board from the mounting by removing the four small screws. I found no burnt traces or unique smells that suggest lightning or burnt wiring at all.

I reseated the wiring harness and the problem persists. Bet this isn't going to be cheap, is it?

Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Wow, you work quick. Thats good.

No the board will not be cheap.

let me get the pricing for you now. Be right back.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
This is the part number of the display panel trim and board. WR38X10424.

Cost is about $330. I know it is expensive so please be sure first that everything that I have told you above was checked. And if the main board in back was the right board and all the wiring there is good. As well as within the display board. And yet you still have the alarm going off and the inability to change the control buttons, then change the part I list above.

You can find the part at either www.marcone.com or www.repairclinic.com or at your local appliance parts store nearest your.

I would advise repair clinic because they are the only place to accept parts returns on parts installed. Even up to a year after purchased.

Please get back to me here if you need any other help or have any other questions or concerns and I will help you more. Please remember to rate my performance positively if you feel that I have helped to answer your questions. After positively rating my performance below with ok service or better rating, should you still have more questions, please feel free to get back to me here and I will help you more for no additional charge.

Thanks again.
Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience: Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the positive rating. It is greatly appreciated.

Should you have any other questions or concerns please get back to me here and I will help you more for no additional charge.

Thanks again.