Jon
Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
60802242

The tube under the freezer side of our side by side sub zero

The tube under the freezer side of our side by side sub zero is leaking severely. How do we shut off the water to this section.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.

Jon :

hello

Jon :

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am an authorized SubZero service tech and I can help you today.

Jon :

the first thing you should do is turn the water supply off to the machine.

Jon :

if you dont know where that is in your house it is usually located in or around your ref.

Jon :

If you cant find it quickly and the water is continually flooding out, then just turn the main water supply off to the house.

Jon :

Now, can you please tell me what model SubZero ref you have?

Jon :

with the model number I can better tell you where the water shut off on the machine may be. and will allow me to pull up the diagrams on the machine to better help you.

Jon :

Then please describe your situation a little better for me. because it sounds like you are explaining a leaking coming from the water supply to the water valve. Is that correct? or is the water leaking from the line itself?

Jon :

If you look in the ref cabinet either near the top of the inside of the machine, on one of the sides, you will see the model sticker. and if you have an older unit it may be near the bottom by the door.

Jon :

either way, please look for the model number and tell me what it is

Jon :

it sometimes will be shown on the control board itself. like model 680 or 550

Jon :

and again, if the water is continually flooding out of the line, then simply shut the water supply off to the ref or turn the water supply off to the house for no until we can get a better feel for where the leaking is coming from.

Customer:

Let me take a look and I will let you know. Right now, my husband is shutting the water to the house.

Jon :

Most leaks in machines like this will come directly from the water valve and can be fixed easily

Jon :

ok. great. that is the best thing to do right now.

Jon :

is the water leaking from under theleft side of the freezer door?or under the whole machine? and just hapens to be under the freezer side?

Customer:

Tell me again where the model number is XXXXX

Jon :

it can be found in the ref cabinet on the wall. either on the left or right side. on the inside. it will be on sticker that lists the model and serial number.

Customer:

We found the number it's 561

Jon :

ok great thank you

Jon :

give me one minute to look it up. be right back.

Jon :

where wad the leak coming from on your machine?

Customer:

left side nbehind then plat, a thin metal tube is leaking at a silver box.

Jon :

i am sorry can you say that again?

Jon :

the left side under the whole machine or in the freezer section?

Jon :

and the thin metal tube i believe you are referring to the water supply line. the thin metal tube is it brown or copper?

Jon :

and the silver box is most likely the water valve.

Jon :

let me get you a picture of the valve and supply line.

Customer:

It's very close to the floor on the freezer side.

Customer:

The tube is probably copper painted white

Jon :

ok. that is what i thought.

Jon :

it is leaking right where the water line connects to the water valve? or does the water line have a small whole or crack in it where it is leaking from?

Jon :

here is a link to the exploded view diagrams.

Jon :

click on the image above and go to page 8.

Jon :

you will see a water valve on the left bottom fo the picture. that is the water valve in your machine.

Jon :

it is part number 141 in the diagram.

Jon :

it has a water supply line, the line you are calling a whiteish tub.

Jon :

is that where it is leaking from?

Jon :

this would be under theleft side of the freezer. under the whole machine and behind the front kick plate that you needed to unscrew.

Jon :

is that where you found the leak?

Jon :

are you still with me?

Jon :

this is usually where the leaks in this machine will come from. especially if the leak is constantly flowing. even when the ice is not in use.

Jon :

the line that is leaking is the water supply line to the water valve in your machine. it is for the ice maker. and there is a constant flow if water to the valve as long as the water is on at the supply shut off valve to the house to the machine. and if the leaks is bad it will just constantly leak until either the water is turned off or until the valve or water line is fixed.

Jon :

if you tell me the line is where the leak is coming from then i would tell you to cut back the line a bit, if the leak is real close to the valve, and repair the line to the valve. this will quickly fix the leak.

Jon :

but if the water line is leaking a ways away from the valve then you will have to cut the damaged part of the line and install a section of good line to the valve and connect it with a coupling made for the size line you have. which si usually a 1/4 water supply line. and now a days it is worth it and almost the standard to use a woven stainless steel supply hose so it doesnt every leak.

Jon :

but if the leak is coming directly from the valve then you need to change the valve.

Jon :

does the water valve look like this in your machine?

Jon :

are you still there?

Jon :

can you see my answers and responses back to you?

Customer:

It

Customer:

It's leaking right at the connection to the box.

Jon :

the box is the valve, correct? does it look like the picture i just sent you of the valve?

Jon :

we need to get the terminology down here.

Jon :

what is the box?

Jon :

there is a compression nut to the valve where the water line is connected to the valve. do you mean it is leaking there?

Jon :

Do you see the picture I posted above? the one of just the valve? and not the one of the whole exploded view diagram of the whole machine?

Customer:

I'm still with you. I think you've hit it, but we are busy emptying the box. so, we run back to see what you have said.

Jon :

ok. no worries. and you are doing great so far by the way.

Jon :

i think what you need to do is cut back the water line about and inch then reconnect it to the valve.

Jon :

most times when these machiens leak like this it is from a small crack int he water line where it bends just before connecting to the water valve.

Jon :

take a look at this video it should show you exactly what to do.

Customer:

I want my husband to read your comments. It will take a few minutes. But what he has told me I believe in fact that cutting the line and re-installing it might have been the answer, but it leaked so fast that we really panicked.

Jon :

ok. that is fine. and is probably the best way to do this. and please let me know if you guys have more questions. i will still be here waiting for you to respond. i will upload the video so you can see how to repair the water line to the valve. not a hard job.

Jon :

is the water turned off to the machine now? or is it still leaking out?

Customer:

Water is no longer leaking, cause we have shut the water off to the whole house.

Jon :

ok. good.

Jon :

you can keep your food in the machine for now. it will not go bad.

Jon :

now we just need for you or your husband to repair the line to the valve.

Customer:

Where's the video?

Jon :

here it is now.

Jon :

this is a video of a water valve replacement in a ge machine. it is the closest one to your machine. the valve that is.

Jon :

it will give you an idea for how to disocnnect the valve and replace the water line connected to it.

Customer:

Still kno

Jon :

i know it is not exactly like the one in your machine. yours is under the ref and is mounted in a different way. but you should be able to disconnect the valve the same way and the water line. and after the valve is disconnected and free from the machine you will unscrew the nut to the water line at the valve and cut it back about 1/2 and inch then screw it back in.

Customer:

Still don't see where to download the video. Is it on the e-mail or on this window

Jon :

click on the image above for the video.

Jon :

and please let me know if you have any questions

Jon :

again to summarize, you will need to disconnect or unscrew the water line at the water valve. then cut it back about 1/2 inch then reconnect it. that should fix your leaking water line.

Jon :

if it doesnt and the line is still leaking and is leaking right from the valve then the valve may be damaged. the threads to the valve where the nut screws in can be damaged and would cause a leak right at the valve. and in that case again you need to replace the valve.

Jon :

you can replace the water valve with part number(NNN) NNN-NNNN it can be ordered from either greatplainsapplianceparts.com or at your local subzero appliance parts store. or get it directly from subzero by calling them.

Jon :

do you have any other questions or concerns for me? if not, and you understand what you need to do here to fix the leak then please remember to rate my performance positively below with ok service or better rating. This is the only way us experts get credit for helping you.

Jon :

and if you have more questions please dont rate negatively just simply come back here with any other questions you have and I will help you more.

Jon :

and if you have more questions after positively rating my performance please come back to me here and i will help you more for no additional charge.

Jon :

please let me know how you do.

Jon :

thanks

Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience: Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Gert,

Thank you for the positive rating. It is greatly appreciated.

Should you have any other questions or concerns please get back to me here and I will help you more for no additional charge.

Thanks again.