Jon
Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
60802242

We have a KitchenAid Electric 27" built-in Thermal Convection

Customer Question

We have a KitchenAid Electric 27" built-in Thermal Convection double self cleaning oven model # XXXXX which has performed very well for more than 17 years. Recently while preheating the lower for about 10 minutes oven there was a pop, and all power to the oven went out. After resetting the circuit breaker the power to the oven came back on so we could read the clock,etc. However, when preheating the oven (upper oven this time), we heard the "pop" again and power went off. Again, after resetting the curcuit breaker the power resumed. Thinking it might have been the circuit breaker we had it replaced - but with similar results. As a result we are currently not using the oven.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.

Jon :

Hello

Jon :

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am an authorized Whirlpool and KitchenAid service tech and I can help you today.

Jon :

How long does the oven stay on before it "pops" and trips the circuit breaker?

Customer:

About 15 minutes

Jon :

Does it happen very quickly now? lets say within a few minutes? or does it preheat fully then "pop"?

Jon :

ok. gothca

Jon :

during the preheat time is it heating fully and preheating and reaching temp?

Jon :

or is it not really getting hot enough?

Customer:

Does not preheat fully

Jon :

ok. that is what i thought.

Jon :

since youare hearing the "popping" sound this seems to me like you have a wiring issue.

Jon :

either the main wires to the temrinals to the back of the machine are damaged or shorting out and even grounding out. causing the popping.

Jon :

and if it is doing this, usually the oven, which requires full 220v to both legs of the elements, has one leg short out and will only receive 110 volts. which will let the oven heat but not fully.

Jon :

giving you the poor temp.

Jon :

then when the element reaches its full potential on 110 volts it shorts the wiring and causing the "popping" and cuases the machine to trip the circuit breaker.

Jon :

I am sorry but the proper way to fully check the machine is to pull the oven out of the wall and check the wires going to the machine and to the main terminal block. and even back to the main control board.

Jon :

I will guarantee you that the wiring is the issue here.

Jon :

it happens often.

Customer:

Sounds like I need to contact a service technician

Jon :

possibly

Jon :

do you feel that this is something you can pull out? with help of course?

Jon :

if you and a friend can pull the unit out and rest it on a chair or small supportive table, you will be able to remove the back access panel and check the wiring yourself if you feel comfortable doing so?

Jon :

this could save you a lot of time and most importnatly money

Jon :

but if you dont think you can do it then yes, definitely call a tech to do it for you

Customer:

Yes, but I'm no electrician

Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience: Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Robert,

Thank you for the positive rating. It is greatly appreciated.

Again, if you feel that you cant pull the unit and work on the electric to the machine, which is usually just following the wires and putting them back color coded.Like black to black and red to red and white to white and so on then definitely call for service.

But please keep in mind this is now considered an older machine. much older. and if you need parts it may not be available. And it will most certainly fail again for you. And will most likely fail sooner then expected. And to spend much money on this machine just doesn't make sense. Again my opinion here.

Please feel free to get back to me here if you have any other questions or concerns and I will help you more for no additional charge.

Thanks again.