Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

hi Bryan..i have a Whirlpool Fridge...model no YET17JKXJW00

hi Bryan..i have a Whirlpool Fridge...model no YET17JKXJW00 fridge with freezer. It recently stopped cooling(fridge and freezer).On approx 40 second intervals it makes a "noise" for 4-5 seconds and draws power to dim the light. The "noise"starts and finishes with a "click"..can you help
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today.

yes I can help. can you pull the refrigerator away from the wall and tell me if the clicking is comming from the back near where the compressor is ? its down the bottom in the back .

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes it is...
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay this is a common problem. the compressor start relay has failed. Relay and Overload Kit(NNN) NNN-NNNNMain Product View this is the set you need to order and replace. the relay itself is the brown part and the other white part is the overload which you replace when replacing the relay. these just plug right onto the side of the compressor. the part number for the set is(NNN) NNN-NNNNyou can order this @ http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Relay-and-Overload-Kit/4387913/586521?modelNumber=YET17JKXJW00 for around $36.00, if this doesn't fix the issue the compressor itself has failed. in 80-90% of the cases this takes care of it though. hope this helps, thanks , Bryan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I wondered if that was the part. I have ordered the part and will let you know.... thanks for the help....
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
your welcome .it seems you have a lot of issues with relays ! thanks and best wishes. Bryan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Bryan.. I picked up my new " non returnable" start relay and overload switch to replace on my fridge. What I found was a"3n1" Solid state relay overload start capacitor combination in the back of the fridge. nothing resembling the parts for the link you provided me. Am I missing something or does it need to be replaced with a new "3n1"?? Thanks
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

do you have the part number on what you picked up ? you got a 3in0ne ? that will work

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I purchased a(NNN) NNN-NNNNas per your link above. The part that exists (3n1) is part no.RCO410...
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
you can use that. its basically the same thing. its came with instructions right? you got this correct ? Hard Start Kit RCO410 Main Product View
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Relay-and-Overload-Kit/4387913/586521?modelNumber=YET17JKXJW00. This is what I got as per what you suggested I buy.
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
and you ordered it there ? well they must have discontinued the originals. you can use that though. its the same setup.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not following you... You originally said the part I need to fix it was the compressor start relay and overload. P/n(NNN) NNN-NNNN The part that presently exists is RCO410! Are these compatible?? What is the proper part I need to fix this? I believe it is a new 3n1 (p/n RCO410) thanks...... These 2 different part numbers are completely different things( appearance wise)
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
Okay sorry I was off line last night. the RCO410 is a start relay and overload all in one so it is compatible. they change relays all the time in these. the only difference between them is the RCO410 has a capacitor to help kick start the compressor. it wont damage anything its actually less stress to start the compressor.can you install it ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes it is easy to install. Just wish I would have taken a closer look at what was there before I purchased p/n(NNN) NNN-NNNN(start relay overload).. Thanks
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay no problem. sometimes they run out of the originals and they substitute, I use that relay sometimes too when the original isn't available. let me know how you make out. thanks , Bryan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So I replaced the 3in1 and still not working. The compressor makes a bit of a "shutter" noise and draws power so that the light in the fridge dims for a few seconds. Could it possibly be anything else other than the compressor? Thanks
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
unfortunately no. it sounds like this one has a bad compressor. the compressor shutters when it tries to start and kicks off. sorry for the bad news.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It looks very straight forward to replace or is it better left to an experienced tech?
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
well the problem is the freon laws today.they are very strict. you need a license to do them now.Big fines if you don't. plus you need a vacuum pump and gages, if you have all that your half way there, the compressor however is over $300.00. the part number is. W10309989. have a good night. thanks, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.