Jon
Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
60802242

Re: GE Spacemaker Microwave Model J VM139K 004, Serial #9177685.

Customer Question

Re: GE Spacemaker Microwave Model J VM139K 004, Serial #9177685. It has just suddenly started making a loud hum when cooking instead a low hum. It goes off and on as usual but produces very little heat.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.

Jon : Hello
Jon : My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am an authorized GE service tech and I can help you today.
Jon : This is actually a common problem with this model microwave. And actually many like it. The humming noise that you are used to is the magnetron that produces the heat in the machine. Wen it is humming it is producing the heat through microwaves in your machine. If it has become louder recently and has started to have the heat decrease and take longer to heat food or drinks then the magnetron is starting to fail on you. And soon it will no longer heat.
Jon : you will need to get this taken care of quickly. And it is not too bad of a repair bit it is recommended that the machine e worked only a professional since there is a serious risk of injury and shock and electrocution when working o these machines.
Jon : i can get you the part info and have you order it on line and have some one come and install it for you. That will save you about $100-$150 depending on the company you choose to come to work on the machine.
Customer:

I can order without help but wonder whether a licensed electrician will be able to make the repair or must it be a microwave service agent?

Jon : I would use an appliance service company. They are the ones that will come out and do the repair. You can use any one in your area that is the cheapest and will install your parts.
Customer:

OK thanks Jon.

Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience: Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Sam,

thank you for the positive rating. It is greatly appreciated.

Just so you have the part info the part number for the magnetron is pa number WB27X10585 and should cost about $150. It can be ordered from either www.marcone.com or www.repairclinic.com or at your local appliance parts store.

If you have any other questions or concerns with this machine please feel free to get back in touch with me here and I will help you more for no additional charge.

Thanks again
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Jon:
The magnemeter would cost $111 and given the age of our Microware
(19 years), it seems wiser to purchase a new unit at not much more
than another $100, especially because the capacitator would cost about
$115 when that needs to be replaced.

Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
I agree. The repair would be costly. You can find a new machine for cheaper than what it would cost to repair this one. Given the age and the cost of the repair, I would also recommend getting a new one. I recommend a Whirlpool or Maytag. Those are the brands I see the least problems with. If you have any other questions, please get back to me here and I will help you more.