Francis
Francis, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  been working with refs, fridge, washers. dryers. dishwashers, microwaves for the past 12 yrs .
11923974

My fridge is getting hot at the sides and it is not as cold

My fridge is getting hot at the sides and it is not as cold as before What can I do?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  gst85 replied 1 year ago.
Hi there and thank you for choosing this service. where exactly do you feel it getting hot and could you please post the model number?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I don't know where to get that information. Sorry!

Expert:  gst85 replied 1 year ago.
No problem at all. take a look inside of the fridge section towards the upper left corner by the ceiling. what brand is your fridge?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Active smart? this is the only think I can see.
Expert:  gst85 replied 1 year ago.

I may not have much information on these models so i will option out and place your question at the top of the list so that someone else can better assist you who may have more info on your fridge.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I don't have the information you are asking. What can I do. I said that the only thing I can see is Active Smart. I don't see any numbers at all.

But I wanted to know if the fridge will still work if it continuo getting hot? What can i do? It is still working but I wanted to know if it is very bad that it is hotter outside than before. Why is this happening? please tell me something don't ask me anymore questions I want an answer.

Thank you,

Flora

Expert:  Appliance Tech Dave replied 1 year ago.

Hello Flora. Without a brand and model number I will be limited in what I can do to help you but here is what I think is the problem. Most refrigerators have a cooling fan in the bottom in the back. If this fan stops, the sides will get hot and cooling beings to stop. It may be a mouse or a piece of paper that jammed the fan blade so all you may need to do is pull out the refrigerator and if there is a cover plate, remove it and check the fan. Let me know what you find.

Dave

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your answer Dave but when I look at the back there is not a cover plate. The motor is there and it is hot of course but I can not see a fan anywhere. There are numbers at the back that maybe can help you. P42 St G4

FGS 80HAW. I don't know anything about fridges. there is no way that I have a mouse or anything going that way into the back.

Sorry that I can't be more precise.

Should I turn it off and back again? I have not done that because I will be worry to make things worse,

Thank you for trying,

Flora

Flora, I'm not sure what you have there so I will opt out. Maybe those numbers will help another expert to assist you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello, so what is going to happen now. will you stop helping me because I don't have the details you wanted? I took photos of the fridge and the back to show you but I can't send them.

Please tell me somethig else. Why can I see any fun? is it inside the motor?

Thank you,

Flora

Your refrigerator may not have a fan. There are other things that can cause this problem. If the light inside does not go off when the door closes or if the door does not seal or if you recently put in a large amount of food etc. All these things can cause the extra heat on the sides. Something is causing too much heat to get inside the refrigerator and this heat is being removed to the outside of the refrigerator. Hope some of this helps.

Dave

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Expert:  Francis replied 1 year ago.
Hello Flora,

Let me continue where Dave left. Thank you for the pictures. They greatly help us in trouble shooting your unit.

Let me just explain what cold be going on with your unit.

Your unit uses the sides as a condenser to let go of the heat that the unit produces to cool the inside of the unit. This is how refrigeration works. If there are a lot of heat that needs to be taken out inside the unit, then the side walls would be very hot. That is normal, but as soon as the heat inside has been taken out, meaning the load inside has cool down, then the heat on the side of the nit would become minimal and could even stop if the compressor stops because the temperature inside the nit has reached the setting of the thermostat.

Now, as Dave has stated, this heat at the side of the unit would not go away if there are a lot of heat inside the unit. And these heat cold be after you just placed a load of food from the market, or if the light bob is not turning off or if there are damage on the door seal and air can seep inside and would become a heat load.

If it is just a big load of food that was recently brought inside the fridge or freezer, than I can say, it is normal for the sides to get hot and the heat would recede after 24 hours or as soon as the food inside has cooled down.

If it is not a food load problem, then you have to find out if the light bulb is to turning off. At night, turn off the kitchen light and slowly close the fridge door, watch if the light inside the fridge would turn off. If it does not, then that is your problem. I would suggest that you remove the bulb for a while to cool down the fridge first before we trouble shoot your unit again.
If the bulb is turning off, then check the gasket ( door seal ) if it is sealing properly, specially the bottom part where it is hard to see. If the seal is broken, then replace the door seal. If no problem is found, then it is not the door seal.

I do not see a fan near your compressor so your unit does not have a fan near the compressor.
I saw your compressor is being cooled by a plastic container that catches the water condensate from the unit.
To help the compressor cool down, check if this plastic container has water on it. If it is dry or very little water, you can add some water to it to cool the compressor and it might help cool down the sides of the nit as well.

Observe it for 24 hours. Set the thermostat to the middle position as well. If you set it to maximum cooling, then the sides would get hotter as well because the compressor would run longer to reach the set temperature.

By the way, is the freezer cooling very well? As well as the fridge?

-
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you very much Francis. I am happy that the photos were useful I understand what you are saying I will check it tonight as now I am at work. You question about the cooling is that the freezer is cooling very well but the fridge is not as at last night.

Thank you again and I contact yopu again as soon as get home and see the fridge tonight.

Expert:  Francis replied 1 year ago.
Hello again Flora,

You are very much welcome. If the fridge is not as cold as it should be, please look inside the freezer section and tell me if you notice frost accumulation inside the freezer back wall?

-
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello Francis,

Yesterday I checked the fridge and evrything was working very well and I put some water in the container you told me about. I always maintain that container very clean and without any water so now I know that it should have some water. Is that the case? I will check the back wall of the freezer tonight and I will inform you inmediately. Thank you for your help it has been great.

Kind regards,

Flora

Expert:  Francis replied 1 year ago.
Hello Flora,

That is good to hear. So now, you can leave the water on the plastic container and you can clean it probably once every six months to remove all dust and dirt that could accumulate in time.

Will be waiting for your response regarding the back wall inside the freezer.

-
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dear Francis,

I look at the back wall of the freezer and I did found an ice pack there and some ice too but not much I took the ice pack out, cleaned it very well and I think that everything will be ok now. I think this is what Dave meant when he said that perhaps a mouse was there. It was very difficult for me to get there but I managed it at the end. Thank you very much for all your help and I hope it will continue working well.

All the best and thanks again,

Flora

Expert:  Francis replied 1 year ago.
Hello Flora,

You are very much welcome.

Happy to hear that you were able to check the back of the freezer.

Hoping too that everything will be fine now.

Thank you very much for using this service and God bless you.

Please do not forget to hit the accept button for us to get paid.

Again, thank you very much.

-
Francis, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: been working with refs, fridge, washers. dryers. dishwashers, microwaves for the past 12 yrs .