Jon
Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
60802242

my compressor turns of but wont turn back on any help would

Customer Question

my compressor turns of but wont turn back on any help would be grateful
Category: Appliance
Expert:  DTech80 replied 1 year ago.

DTech80 :

Hello, I'm David. I'll be helping you solve your problem. What brand is the unit and what is the model number? Could be please explain the problem in a little more detail?

Expert:  DTech80 replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is westinghouse up side down fridge/freezer the model number is XXXXX 505g the fridge is always warm the freezer ices to the point that it freezes the fan i replaced the temp contol thermostat as well as the the defrost timer plus a new defrost element now it fails to switch on or off unless i do it manully
Expert:  DTech80 replied 1 year ago.
I'm going to let another expert help you out for this one.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a different expert and I can help you today.

The main concern here is not the fact that the compressor is not coming back on it is the fact that the freezer is freezing over and icing over and causing the air flow issues. as well as the defrost failure. That is the main concern.

If the freezer is producing way too much cold then it will choke off the cold air to the freezer cabinet and not let it spread to the ref cabinet. Which is why the ref is starting to warm up.

What you need to do here first is find out the cause of the defrost failure. Which means that you need to remove all the food from the freezer section and check the defrost components. If you haven't done so already.

I would first check the frost pattern on the evaporator and if it is completely frozen over again then the defrost system has to be checked completely. Including the but not limited to the defrost heater, defrost thermostat, defrost timer or control and the thermostat.

What I would do first if you have a lot of ice in the freezer section is defrost it with a hair dryer or unplug the machine for about 2 days. Then plug it back in and let it run normally.

If the machine starts to freeze up again in about a week then you know you need to change the defrost components. And if you have already changed the defrost heater, thermostat and timer then you know you have to check the damper or diffuser in the ref section.

the diffuser is the part in between the freezer and ref cabinets that let the air pass through. And check the evaporator fan motor as well.

If the cold air being made in the freezer is not being sent from the freezer to the ref then either the fan or the damper control is the problem.

Please check that and get back to me here if you have any other questions or concerns and I will help you more.

Thanks.
Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience: Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the positive rating. It is greatly appreciated.

Please get back to me if you have more questions or concerns with this machine and I will help you more for no additional charge.

Please let me know how you make out as well.

Thanks again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

One more question the compressor on my westinghouse up side down fridge freezer fails to turn its self on aafter going through its cycle any help please

Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
I the compressor is not coming back on or running at all for that matter you will need to check that there is full voltage to the starting device on the compressor.

On your compressor inThe back bottom of the ref there will be a smaller starting device that sits just off to one side of the compressor. Turn power off to the ref and remove the starting device. Then with a meter check power to the starter while plugging the machine back in. I you have full voltage to the starter and the compressor still doesn't come on after a few minutes then replace the starter.

If you dont have voltage then replace the thermostat and or the main control for the ref.

Now also, while checking the starter, check to see if the condenser fan motor is running. There is a fan that runs next to the compressor that will blow cool air onto the condenser and compressor to keep it cool. If that fan is not running or is damaged otherwise, then the compressor will not run.

Check those things and get back to me here if you need more help or have any other questions and I will help you more.

Thanks again.