Jon
Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
60802242

my sharp insight pro microwave wont work. the "help"

Customer Question

my sharp insight pro microwave won't work. the "help" button keeps light up and while the lights will turn on w/ a time...the food is not being heated. any thoughts??
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.

Jon :

hello

Jon :

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am an appliance expert here and I can help you today.

Customer:

great. i hope you can help

Jon :

Have you tried unplugging the micro for about five minutes then plugging it back in?

Customer:

no, not yet. its attached under a counter. is it easy to pull out? We just moved into our house that we bought a week ago.

Customer:

i can try

Jon :

the microwave is under a counter?

Customer:

yes. it has the drawer that comes out horizonitally

Jon :

Is there a cabinet or outlet above it? or even around it? I would assume there is since it needs to be plugged in to work. just find the plug and unplug it

Jon :

The microwave has drawer or the cabinet?

Customer:

looking for it now

Jon :

I would check the cabinets around the microwave. there has to be a plug there somewhere.

Jon :

ok. just let me know. i'll be here. just unplug the microwave, and you will know you have the right one when the lights go out on the microwave, then keep it unplugged for about 5 minutes then plug it back in.

Customer:

i can't get behind the microwave unless i unscrew it from the cabinet. any other options?

Jon :

If it still gives you the error and doesnt heat then you have a bad control board and even a bad magnetron. And for an undercounter or countertop model like yours it will not be worth the cost of repair. Unfortunately.

Jon :

Do you know where you circuit breakers are for the house?

Jon :

I would try the circuits and hopefully they are labeled.

Jon :

just find the circuit breaker for the microwave and flip that off for about five minutes. that will do the same thing.

Customer:

not sure where the ones are for the house...and i have an 8mth old sleeping. looks like its not myday

Jon :

the unplugging of the machine for five minutes will reset the machine and computer.

Jon :

oh. Sorry.

Jon :

If you cant find the circuit or get behind it to unplug the unit then there is not much else you can do here.

Customer:

got it

Customer:

thanks anyway

Jon :

we need to reset the computer and the only way to do that is to kill power to the machine.

Jon :

what does it say now in the display?

Customer:

just showing the time

Jon :

you can try clearing the current cycle and setting by hitting the clear or cancel button for about five seconds. then set a new timed heat cycle for about 30 seconds and put a cup of water in and hit start.

Customer:

i'll try that now

Jon :

if it doesnt heat then like i said you will need to reset the computer first.

Jon :

ok. thanks. try it and let me know what happens.

Jon :

and again, if that deosnt work for you, you need to find the circuit panel and the circuit for the microwave and flip it to the off position. and keep it off for about five minutes then put it back on.

Jon :

Then on the microwave it will ask to set the time. just follow the instructions that will be displayed on the board and set the time. then put a glass of water in again and set the micro to 30 second time heat and start it.

Customer:

i'll need to tdo that tomorrow. thanks for your help. thank god i have a home warranty to pull this thing out if it doesnt work

Jon :

if it doesnt heat and does the same thing then you need a new board and magnetron. the magnetron is what heats the machine. and on a machine like this it is cheaper to get another one then replace the parts.

Jon :

thank god. warranty is good.

Jon :

if it doesnt work then call them up and they will come and check for free and either fix it or replace it.

Jon :

please get back to me here tomorrow if you have more questions or concerns and I will help you more.

Jon :

and if you feel that I have helped to answer your questions now please remember to rate my experience positively below with ok service or better rating so that I may get credit for helping you from the website.

Jon :

and if you still have more questions you can come back here to me at any time and i will help you more for no additional charge.

Jon :

Thanks and let me know how it goes.

Jon :

Please remember to rate my performance below this chat now. This is the only way that I can get credit for helping you. and like I said above, if you have more questions again, please come back to me here and I will help you more for no additional charge.

Jon :

thanks

Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience: Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Todd,

Thank you for the positive rating. It is greatly appreciated.

Should you have any other questions or concerns please get back to me here and I will help you more for no additional charge.

Thanks again.