Appliance Man
Appliance Man, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance tech 4 years
13888241

Our Maytag side by side Fridge which is about 10 years old

Customer Question

Our Maytag side by side Fridge which is about 10 years old is causing the trip switch to trip and I cannot turn it on. Any ideas on what I should do? I have isolated it after trying 3 times. The light inside the fridge comes on but no sound from the fridge. After about a minute the trip switch trips.

Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Man replied 1 year ago.
Is the gfi tripping on the outlet?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have tried different outlets using an extension cord. When the trip tripped I isolated all item plugged into the various outlets and finally arrived at the fridge being the cause.

Does the fridge run ok when not plugged into a gfi outlet or is it tripping the breaker in the breaker box.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It trips the breaker in the breaker box. All our power outlets are connected to the same breaker. None of the other appliances/equipment are causing it to trip - only when I plug the fridge in does it trip.

The lights in the fridge come on but no sound from fridge and after about a minute it trips the breaker.

Ok pluu the fridge forward and remove the lower back panel. Look at the compressor. Does it have a white boax connected to the side of it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

If you mean a white connecting block type of thing yes. The compressor is the black cylindrical thing I guess

Yes that is it. unplug the fridge and remove the white box. Shake it. Does it rattle?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The white connector has wires connected to it and I hope I have the right box. I unplugged the white connector and shook it but no rattle.

Ok does your model number of the fridge start with msd?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

GS2126PADW

ok there is a recall on some of these fridges for the start relay failing on the compressors. Im not sure about if this model falls under that recall. I would call maytag and see if the model number falls under the recall. You either have a bad start relay or a bad compressor. There is no way to test the relay besides replacing it and seeing if it works.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

let me get this straight - I need to call Maytag and if there is no recall on this I need to get a technician to check the compressor or start relay. If there is a recall, then get them to attend to it. Did I get it right?

Call maytag and if there is a recall the will come out and replace the relay for free. If there isn't a recall then you could call a tech or replace the relay yourself. If the relay doesn't fix ith then you hoave a bad compressor.
Experience: Appliance tech 4 years
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Fortunately I decided to call a technician instead of replacing the start relay. He found the fault within 2 minutes by removing the white box from the compressor and then switching the power on. It tripped the breaker. He went off and came back with a new heater element, replaced the one that was causing the breaker to trip, located the timer and started the fridge and all fine. The fridge is back to normal now. I thought I'll give that feedback as your diagnosis was incorrect.

thanks.