Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I have a Whirpool Fridge with a bottom drawer Freezer that

I have a Whirpool Fridge with a bottom drawer Freezer that I bought last year from Home depot model #MBF2258XEW4.

The ice maker just stopped working once- and before I could get a repairman out to fix it- it started working again. Now - it has happened again- no ice. And yes- the ice making lever is in the down position. Any ideas on what I need to do to get it working again without going to a repair service?

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today.

Good morning. let me pull up your model number and take a look, I'll be back in a minute, thanks Bryan

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Okay got it, there are a few things we need to check. first is there any frost on the back wall in the freezer behind your food ? if the freezer temp goes higher than 8 degrees the ice maker will stop making ice, if theres frost on the wall then it may be a defrost issue and the temp is rising above 8 degrees. can you check that ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes-I"ll check

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Absolutely no frost on any of the freezer walls.

okay good, next you need to see if theres ice in the tube that feeds the ice maker. theres a tube that comes through the back of the freezer and drops water into the cup on the back of the ice maker. the water goes into this cup. graphicsee if either theres ice in the cup or in the tube itself.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Okay-I'll check

good. thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Did you see my response about the stuck ice cube and water line?

no, you had an ice cube stuck in the fingers of the ice maker ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

There was a single ice cube stuck in the first slot from the back of the freezer which I knocked out. I can't really see a water line in the back- just what looks like some electrical cords (maybe one is the water line). It doesn't appear that there is any other ice blocking anything- however it's hard to see. Since I knocked the ice cube out- there hasn't been any ice making noises.

okay , well this takes time to cycle. I believe it will work now. if it doesn't make ice in a few hours come back and let me know. accepting my answer doesn't close the question you can come back anytime if you need more help. thanks and well done ! Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Bryan- I hope this works!

your very welcome. if it doesn't just come back and I'll be glad to help you further. thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I had to run out and get some ice- when I got home the first batch was already made in the freezer- THanks

Thats great, I'll be here for you if you need me again. I can help with most any appliance questions and you can request me if you wish. have a great Sunday !

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here
, thanks, Bryan