Jon
Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
60802242

Have a b1113j washing machine. Were getting a "door" error

Customer Question

Have a b1113j washing machine. We're getting a "door" error even when the door is closed. I've tried spraying some contact cleaner in the door latch switch. Didn't work. Any ideas? We live in a remote island location. We have tools but it would take several days to get to a store and back.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.

Jon :

hello

Jon :

my name is XXXXX XXXXX i can try to help you today

Jon :

what make washer do you have?

Jon :

when i have some more info on the washer i will be able to help you better. so please get back to me with what make washer you have and what the full model number is. thank you.

Jon :

are you still there?

Customer:

yes hi

Customer:

we have a samsung b1113j

Jon :

ok. gotcha. thank you.

Jon :

can you open the door to the washer and look for the model sticker and tell me from the sticker what either the model number is XXXXX the bom name is?

Customer:

ok I need 3 minutes

Jon :

should look something like wf350an/xaa

Customer:

ok

Jon :

ok. just get back to me here when you get it. i'll be here for you.

Customer:

does b1113jdw/xac help?

Jon :

yes. definitely. is that the model number form the sticker just inside the door frame?

Customer:

actually I have an old manual here with the model number written on it in pen. I must have written it about 6 or 7 years ago when we needed to replace the brain

Jon :

ok. but can you please verify it for me by looking on the washer as well? thank you.

Customer:

ok. I need another 3 minutes. We live in the country. The washer is under the house with outdoor access only to the basement. be back in a jiffy.

Jon :

ok. thank you and sorry to make you go through so much trouble to check. but it is important.

Customer:

yup that the code. i found the sticker on the back of the machine.

Jon :

ok. thank you.

Jon :

i found the model specs. thank you for looking.

Customer:

no problem

Jon :

ok so you are getting the door error even when the door is completely shut?

Customer:

yes

Jon :

ok and does this happen at the beginning of the cycle? or after a while of running or after filling?

Customer:

at the beginning. It won't begin filling.

Jon :

ok just checking

Customer:

ok

Jon :

if the machine will not even fill at the beginning of the cycle do you hear the door click when you push start?

Customer:

i don't believe so. should i check?

Jon :

ok. after setting the cycle make sure the door is completely shut and then hit the start button and tell me if you hear the door lock click? or does it click once then a few seconds later it clicks again, then again?

Customer:

ok. back in a few minutes.

Jon :

check that now. this will tell us if the main board is not sending voltage to the door lock or if the door lock is failing.

Jon :

ok. I'll be here.

Jon :

thanks for doing the checking here.

Jon :

we are almost done with the diagnostic checking procedure. you are doing great by the way.

Jon :

we will know shortly what the problem is.

Customer:

there's no click from the solonoid. when i start the cycle, the light on the front flashes underneath "wash" about 10 times. the door remains silent. then there's a loud triple beep and a "door" error message. by the way, I've managed to get my computer into the basement with me. wifi still working.

Jon :

ok good about wifi. as far as for the machine you should hear at least the first click as the computer sends power to the door switch and the lock closes. if you dont hear that then the computer might be failing.

Jon :

lets try to unplug the washer for about five minutes then plugging it back in and trying again. the unplugging of the machine will reset the board. and should help.

Jon :

try that now and then plug it back in after unplugging it for five minutes then tell me what happens as you set another cycle.

Customer:

ok. so does that mean it's time for another new brain or should I check the connections?

Customer:

right. unplugging now.

Jon :

that is what we will find out. if it doesnt work then yes, you will need another main pcb board.

Jon :

how old is this machine? just want to see if it is worth it for you to replace the main control? if it is more then 7 years old it will not be worth spending the money as you will likely start to have other problems. and i would hate to see you spend the money on a new main board only to have another expensive repair in the near future.

Jon :

yes. unplug now and leave it unplugged for 5 minutes. then plug it back in and set another cycle and hit start.

Customer:

it's 9 years old. but last time we replaced the brain it only cost us $160. Do the pumps and motors typically die in these machines too?

Jon :

yes the drain pump and motor will usually fail after about 7 years of constant use. if you havent replaced them yet you are lucky. and i would be hesitant to change another main control board on this machine.

Customer:

o i'm going to plug it back in now. fingers crossed.

Jon :

but lets try the reset first and see what happens

Jon :

ok please do. and yes. fingers crossed.

Jon :

just so i know, why did you replace the main board the first time?

Customer:

long story...we live off grid and our inverter was set to "search" - effectively we turned it on/off every second for a whole day. It died of confusion.

Customer:

by the way. the problem is still there. Looks like we might need a new board again.

Jon :

yes. sometimes the reset will work. if the machine will not even lock the door then you will need a new main control

Jon :

sorry.

Jon :

you have done very well diagnosing the machine with me.

Jon :

thank you.

Customer:

thats ok. you saved me a ton of time - i was going to buy a new door latch. anything else to add? i really appreciate your help.

Jon :

is there any left over water in the machine when it is restarted? or do you hear the drain pump coming on at all befroe the door tries to lock? if not then yes, you definitely need the main board.

Jon :

if you had a bad door lock you would usually hear the door lock switch on and off constantly.

Customer:

no noises at all. i guess it's pretty clear.

Jon :

here we dont even hear it click at all. this usually means the board is not sending the voltage to the lock.

Jon :

yes. pretty clear here. but if you have spent more then the $160 or so on a board already and evenother money for other repairs i would be very hesitant on spending more money on this machine.

Jon :

especially if it is over 9 years old. you are way passed its midlife. and you will start to see other repairs often. and i would hate to see you spend the money on a new board only to have other repairs soon.

Customer:

ok. well thanks so much for your insights. i guess it's time for my wife and i to have a talk about putting down ol' Bessy.

Jon :

it may be worth it for you to just get a newer more energy efficient washer. it will last you longer and in a way save you money over time.

Jon :

i recommend whirlpool. i see the least amount of repairs on them.

Jon :

you are very welcome for the help.

Customer:

yup. do whirlpool sell low power usage washers?

Jon :

please feel free to get back to me here and I will help you more

Customer:

ok. bye for now

Jon :

yes. indeed. you can search their website for all their models

Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience: Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Reid,

Thank you again for the positive rating and very generous bonus. It is greatly appreciated.

Thank you as well for taking the time to diagnose the problems with the machine. You did very well. Please discuss with your wife about getting a new machine. In my honest opinion it will be worth it for you to just replace the machine instead of repairing it. But whatever you decide is ok.

If you need more help please get back to me here and I will help you more for no additional charge.

Thanks again.