Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

Same oven and same results up til the last post on this thread. http://www.justanswer.com

Customer Question

Same oven and same results up til the last post on this thread.
http://www.justanswer.com/appliance/2neqk-whirlpool-built-in-oven-model-rb260pxyb-electronic-controls.html
I tested the voltage on the bake element and got 117 on each lead. I tested the thermocouple and got a reading that was similar to that given here. I forget but it was around 1075-1090. I tested the voltage going to the broiler and got 57VAC on each lead. SO..
Whats happening is that I can never cook two trays at one time and have them be more than very warm. They just dont cook all the way. One tray will usually cook if there is not a second but last night I got a tray of frozen fish to cook and then tried some tater tots and the temp wouldnt go over 265, then went down to 235 then 225 and was there between 225 and 235 for about an hour. I had it set on 450. I tried letting the oven cool down and restarting it but still 235 was the limit. So it 57VAC correct for the broiler element?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

Good morning, when you tested voltage to the bake element did you remove a wire from at least one side of the element or did you just put your meter leads to ground and to one side at a time with both wires still connected to the element ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I completely each element before testing it. I tested by putting my multimeter on one lead and then the other probe went to the oven wall.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay thats correct. just wanted to make sure you isolated the sides when testing. the voltage to the broiler was that when the oven was on broil ? the 57VAC? if so thats not the correct voltage, the broil element should be receiving at least 117 volts also.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thats what I figured but also figured maybe the broiler only gets to split 120. Anyway, do I need a new controller?

I design electronics so if I can repair the controller I would like to try that to.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
the issue is most likely a bad relay on the control. do you get 120 volts to either side of the broil element ? "testing to ground with it isolated" in broil.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Broil it the element on top right? The element on top I removed and then turned on the broil function. When I heard the relay click I was measuring from one single lead to ground and got 57VAC. I moved to the other lead and got 57VAC. I never tried testing both leads at once. Ill go try that right now. Just 30 seconds.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

116vac, thats between both wires, not ground at all. 57 from one wire to ground.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay you do need the control then. the relay is bad on it. good job, thanks and best wishes, Bryan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

One more question on the relay. If I got 57vac on both sides then the relay must be passing voltage or I would get 0vac. Right? Oh, and if I want to replace the relay instead of the whole control do you have a part number?

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

when you go across the two bake wires with them disconnected from the element "one lead to each of your meter probes" do you get 220 volts when on bake ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes. More like 235 but it seems right.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
yeah thats fine. you should get 120 volts to ground on one of the wires on the broil "with the wires off" try each to ground without turning broil on. do you get 120 on one of them ? you do on the bake right ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Are you talking about the broil or bake element? Can you be more specific on the last question you posted. I'm not sure how you want me to test.

So far I have tested bake element leads. I get 117 each lead to ground and 235 between the two bake elements. This is when oven it turned on bake.

The broil element I get 57vac each lead to ground with element removed and I get 120 or so between the leads and this is when the oven is on broil.

I have not tested the bake element on the broil setting and I have not tested the broil element on the bake setting.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

be back in a hour or so. Have to take daughter to school and pick up my power washer.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
try testing each wire on the broil element "top element" to ground with nothing on, just the oven power on, even when this is not set to broil you should get 120 volts to at least one of the wires on the element. we can talk when you get back.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok tried that and got about 200mV on each lead to ground. No 120 at all.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

okay now try the same test with the broil on. mmmm Something is missing. strange

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Broil element with broil on is 57vac from lead to ground and 120 between leads.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

I'm trying to find wiring diagrams for this. give me a few minutes, thanks, Bryan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no problem. im working on something anyway.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay the black wire thats attached to the broil should have 120 volts to it at all times. this means theres a issue with that. looking at the diagrams the black wire connects directly to the line 1 on the main power going to the oven. graphic
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
sorry my mistake they both go through the clock / control on this model. it means the control has failed. the relay is bad. you need to replace the clock.
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Bryan I cant find the part number can you help me with that?

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
Sure .is the face white or black ? the keypad.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Black

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
heres the part number. 3169258

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
theres a problem though it looks like. their saying its no longer available so you may need to search the net for one. if you cant find it there are places that rebuild these. that may be your only hope. sorry for the bad news. you may find one though. my supplier doesn't have them.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks so much Bryan.

Will remove the little guy and see if I can find replacement relays. If not will buy a refurbed. Thanks again and have a great day.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
Your very welcome, have a great day.thanks, Bryan