Jon
Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
60802242

My DCS RDT-366 dual range oven left element is not working.

Customer Question

My DCS RDT-366 dual range oven left element is not working. How do fix that?
Also the "heating" "ready" lights on the front of the stove are not working.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.

Jon :

Hello

Jon :

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am an authorized DCS service tech and I can help you today.

Jon :

If one of the heating elements in your ovens is not working then the first thing we need to do is check to make sure that there is full power to the machine.

Jon :

In order for the ovens to work the unit needs to have 220 volts. So if you have checked to make sure the oven has full voltage and are sure there is 220v to the machine then we can move on. But if you are not sure then please check that first.

Jon :

If there is voltage and the element still doesn't work then you will need to check for voltage to the element that is not working. Now to do this it is advised that turn power off to the machine first. then expose the element and wiring to the element so you can eventually take a voltage ready on it.

Jon :

In most cases the element is either under the machine or on the bottom of the oven itself. Once you find the wires to the element, remove them and hook your meter leads to the wires that would go to the element. Then make sure they are not touching anything else and turn the power back on and check that you have full 220v volts to the bake element.

Customer: The voltage on the element is 240.
Jon :

if you dont have full voltage check the wiring again with the machine powered off. if the wiring is good then either the fuse or main board will be bad on your machine.

Jon :

The voltage to the element is 240v?

Customer: Yes
Jon :

How have you checked if you dont mind me asking?

Jon :

Have you checked like i describe above? or are you just going off the fact that there is 220v at the outlet it is plugged into?

Customer: By unscrewing the back of the element and putting the voltage meter on the wire conenection
Jon :

ok. good.

Jon :

then have you checked the limiter fuse for the ovens back there as well?

Jon :

There will be one single small round thermostat for each oven that is called the limiter or fuse that if blown will kill all power to the ovens. Have you checked to see if that limiter is bad?

Jon :

That is the most likely cause for your failure if the ovens dont work at all.

Jon :

Does the cooktop portion of the range work?

Customer: Yes. It's just the left side broiler element the doesn't work.
Jon :

Yes that you have checked the limiter fuse? or yes that you have checked the voltage?

Customer: Yes that the cooktop portion works
Jon :

If the rest of the ovens work fine then this is not a limiter problem

Jon :

but if the bake and broil are not working then that is a different story. so please be clear here. It is very important.

Jon :

does the bake and broil both not work in the oven in question? or is just the broil that is not working?

Customer: Just the left side broiler doesn't work but when the left side broiler is not screwed in place it does work
Jon :

ok. but the left side bake does work, is that correct?

Customer: Yes
Jon :

ok. so then the left side bake and broil doesnt work. you will have to check the limiter fuse int he back of the machine to see if that has been damaged and gone bad.

Customer: Left side bake does work
Customer: How do I access the limiter fuse?
Customer: Does the unit have to pulled out to access the fuse?
Jon :

ok. if the bake does work and broil doesnt then the limiter is good. and it will not need to be checked. since the bake works we know the limiter is good. otherwise it would allow the bake to work.

Customer: Ok
Jon :

and if you have checked the voltage to the broil element and it does have power but still no broil then the element itself is bad.

Jon :

but if no power to only the broil element then the thermostat is bad.

Jon :

It is just that easy to diagnose.

Jon :

there is not much else that controls the power to the ovens in this model machine.

Jon :

Do you have the model with a dial and knob thermostat or is your model a touch panel? meaning you either turn a knob to set bake and broil or you simply touch a button on the control.

Jon :

if it is a touch panel then you have to change the relay board and not the thermostat.

Jon :

if this is a dial or knob like most then you have to change the thermostat.

Jon :

and again only if there is no voltage to the broil element in a broil cycle.

Customer: The element has continuity and the element works when it's not screwed in place. When it is screwed in place, it doesn't work.
Customer: Button to bake and broil and knob for temperature.
Jon :

The element can have continuity but still not work properly when powered on in place. so continuity alone for the element is not a conslusive test.

Jon :

you have to check the power to the element when in a broil cycle. I know it is a pain in the neck to do but that will give you the best results as for what is failing.

Jon :

I have seen many times an element that passes a continuity check but when in place will still not work.

Jon :

The current can still pass through the element. but if the filaments in the element will not heat past a certian degree it will seem like the element is not working or heating at all. and it will nto glow or heat.

Jon :

Run the voltage check to the element and you will know for sure what the problem is. and if you do find that there is voltage to the element but yet no heat from the element then the element needs to be changed.

Jon :

but if no voltage to the element while in a cycle then change the thermostat.

Customer: Ok thank you
Jon :

you are very welcome.

Jon :

if you dont have any other questions for me and feel that I have helped to answer your questions please remember to rate my performance positively below with ok service or better rating.

Jon :

and if you have more questions after positively rating me please feel free to get back to me here and I will help you more for no additional charge.

Jon :

thanks

Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience: Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the positive rating. It is greatly appreciated.

Should you have any other questions please feel free to get back to me here and I will help you more for no additional charge.

Thanks again.