Jon
Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.

hello i have a side by side fridge freezer model # XXXXX Serial

Customer Question

hello i have a side by side fridge freezer model # XXXXX
Serial # XXXXX
Our freezer temperature goes on wilde swings. sometimes it as high as plus 10F today its down at - 9F. when it behaves it seems to be set at -2F. the fridge is better usually 44F.
There is a hammering sound coming from the top shelf of the fridge on the left, i am led to belive it is an electronic thermostat that is the problem, is this true. If so what is the part number so i can order a new one. Thank You, Trevor
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.

Jon :

hey trevor,

Jon :

my name is XXXXX XXXXX i am an authorized frigidaire service tech and i can help you today.

Jon :

Hello

Customer:

hi Jon, i have a side by side. M# XXXXX and the freezer temp is all over the map. -9 to plus 10F.

Jon :

gotcha

Jon :

it is actually common on these model machines.

Jon :

and the noise you are hearing is it coming from the front top of the ref cabinet or the back?

Customer:

it hammers on the top shelf on the left. i have been told its the electronic thermostat

Jon :

the thermostat is located int he front. and the damper assembly is in the back.

Jon :

if it is the left side it is normally towrds the back. it is the damper getting caught up

Customer:

sounds right

Jon :

the damper will open and close as the thermostat tells it. then the damper will open to let cold air come into the machine and close to keep cold air out.

Jon :

it is common.

Jon :

I would change the thermostat and damper assembly. you have to remove one to get to the other so you might as well take care of it all at once.

Customer:

but cycling every 10 seconds. is this cold from freezer to fridge

Jon :

yes. you got it.

Customer:

so why is the fridge at 44 most of the time and the freezer wako

Customer:

what are the part numbers do you know

Jon :

as the freezer makes all the cold in this machine, the damper that is inbetween the center divide, will open and allow the cold air to get from the freezer to the ref. but if the slide jams up on the damper or diffuser then it will either allow too much cold through or close off and not let enough cold air come through. which could be why you have the inconsistency of the temp

Jon :

I am sure the thermostat is not regulating the temps correctly and is now affecting the freezer primarily. but if left this way the ref temp will start to fluctuate as well.

Jon :

give me two minutes and i will get parts info for you.

Jon :

be right back

Jon :

The thermostat on this machine is actually a control it is just behind the controls in the ref. in the top. it is part numberNNN-NN-NNNN and should cost about $125.

Jon :

The damper assembly is part numberNNN-NN-NNNNand should cost about $75.

Jon :

The parts above can be ordered at either www.repairclinic.com or www.marcone.com or at your local appliance parts store.

Jon :

It is worth the $200 cost of repair for both parts to make sure this machine is working correctly. It is certainly cheaper then a new machine.

Jon :

and the machine should run fine for you after the parts are changed out.

Customer:

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX print this page?

Jon :

You are very welcome.

Jon :

you will be given the option to save, print and copy the info above after you leave me a positive rating.

Jon :

And if you have more questions after rating me, dont worry it will not close out the chat, you will always be able to come back here and i will help you more for no additional charge.

Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience: Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Trevor,

Thanks again for the positive rating and very generous bonus. It is greatly appreciated.

Should you have any other questions or concerns please get back to me here and I will help you more for no additional charge.

Thanks again.