Appliance Man
Appliance Man, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance tech 4 years

Hello, My GE Spacemaker XL microwave gave out on me. It starts

My GE Spacemaker XL microwave gave out on me.
It starts running but makes a vibration noise, as if an electric motor was forcing to make something turn that won't turn.
If I leave it running, like I did the first time before I knew something was wrong, a bad smell starts to spread around the kitchen, a little like burnt plastic.
No error message appears.
Model number JVM134OWWC01 - December 1996.
Hello. Thank you for choosing Just Answer. I will be helping you with your question today.

You have a bad magnetron. The magnetron is the heating element. The cost of the repair will cost more then just replacing the whole microwave.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It is fixed on top of my stove with the fan and everything, replacing it would cost $300+, do you know how much a repair kit would cost. I can do it myself.

The part alone cost 170 dollars and is not a part you can replace yourself. Labor would cost over 175 dollars.