Bob L Your  Appl Pal
Bob L Your Appl Pal, Home Appliance Tech
Experience:  23 Years Major Appliance Repair
14958677

I have a 5 yr old LG WM2688HNM steam washer. A strong sewage

Customer Question

I have a 5 yr old LG WM2688HNM steam washer. A strong sewage smell eminates from the front of the machine-lower right. I have tried cleaning the front seal, leaving the door open, flushing with simple green and bleach to no avail. I removed the back cover and inspected the bottom drain hose and discharge hose. Both are clean. There is no strong odor within the drum or at the dispenser or at the front drain. I believe it has to be sediment buildup in some low point. There is no service providers in our area. I just purchased a service manual to better understand the drainage system. LG's response is just to leave the door open and rinse the machine out once a month with there special tablets. Do you have any first hand knowledge where to start in locating the source of the odor. Could there be a buildup in the pump area or bottom of the tube? It is very strong.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bob L Your Appl Pal replied 1 year ago.
Hello..It is my Pleasure To Be Working With You Today...Sorry you are having this problem..The only point where water will sit is inside the drain pump housing or the bottom of the outer drum..I would first run a product called AFFRESH thru the washer a few times..It is the only product we use..CLICK HERE

Front loaders are notorious for a mildew like smell..First check the drain pump housing..Tilt the washer back..Access the housing #k344 from underneath..You can remove the hoses to check for blockage etc....Next would be to check the drain hose from the tub to the drain housing..#k520..But like i said first try the affresh product..It works well..Also please rate my answer to you before leaving today at "OK" or better..If you do have any further questions i will be standing by..Thank you Bob

graphic
If all checks ok..Then you can remove the heating element. #k320..It is located at the front bottom of the drum itself...Check that location..Keep in mind when removing either of the hoses or heating element ..You will get quite a bit of water draining out once removed..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

A couple of clarifications: Is the K344 the pump? To be clear, can I check the 3 items you mention solely through the bottom without removing any of the panels? As a further option, could I hold up the drain hose and fill the hose with a chemical. Would the chemical drain back through the pump or be blocked by a check valve. Can I tilt the washer forward and lay it down on its face on cushions as it is currently on a 18" concrete pedestal up against a wall?

K344 is the pump housing....On some units you will be able to access from the bottom..If not ..Then you would need to remove the back panel..Removing the drain hose and pouring a chemical in would be the same as pouring the chemical directly into the drum..As the drain hose is connected to the bottom of the drum..To answer your questions yes the chemical would drain back into the pump area..Also to the discharge hose leading to the homes drain..If you need to lay the washer down..Lay it on its side..But like i said..i would first try the AFFRESH..Most time the mildew smell will be in the door gasket..Or in Between the inner and outer drums..
Experience: 23 Years Major Appliance Repair
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX a little hasty. I was able to pull the unit forward and then tilt back for good access. I will locate and try the affresh ASAP. Many thanks

You are very welcome..It is a difficult problem to solve..Due to the fact once the mildew has started its almost impossible to curb without removing the complete drum or replacing the door seal all together..Thank you Bob