Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

2011 GE dryer wires to the cycling thermostat overheated, melted

2011 GE dryer wires to the cycling thermostat overheated, melted and sparked (burned a hold thru the metal back cover!). I have removed the thermostat and see I can buy a new part WE4M216. How best to replace wiring?
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

The wiring will only come as an entire wiring harness which is quite expensive. If it's just a few wires that are shorted, probably the best thing to do is pick up som 10 gauge wire and put new terminals on it. Unplug the dryer and cut the damaged wire back behind the damage. Then use ceramic wire nuts to splice the new wire into the existing wire. Make sure they are ceramic wire nots and not plastic because the back of the dryer does get hot and it can melt the plastic wire nuts over time.

Please Don't Forget the deposit you placed to ask the question is not used to compensate me until you rate my service! Please Remember that when you are asked to give a rating, you are rating My Service and not this website itself or the problem of your appliance.