Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

My Maytag fridge freezer has a problem when distributing drinking

Customer Question

My Maytag fridge freezer has a problem when distributing drinking water from the door outlet, as the water starts to be poored from the spout it intermittantly stops and then trys to eject ice cubes, then back to the water, and then back to the ice and so on, this continues until the operational button is released, It will not give a continual uninterupted flow of water only, The ice distribution when selected is working fine with no interuption although there is a problem when switching from crushed ice to cubed ice and to change over the two corresponding buttons have to be pressed several times to obtain the type required
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

The only thing that can really cause the the refrigerator to switch between ice and water and while it's dispensing water is the dispenser control board itself inside the dispenser. The issue with not switched from crushed to cubed is likely related, but I do want to mention that if the small micro switch is starting to go out (happens from moisture getting on it sometimes) inside the dispenser, this could cause the in-ability to select from crushed to cubed. But that being said, it's much more likely that the issues are related so you'll need to replace the dispenser control board to fix the issue. The part number you need is 67003623. It's a $150 part here in america but I really couldn't say where you would be able to obtain the part in the UK since this is an american appliance.

Please Don't Forget the deposit you placed to ask the question is not used to compensate me until you rate my service! Please Remember that when you are asked to give a rating, you are rating My Service and not this website itself or the problem of your appliance.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

if as you suggest that the problem with the dispenser is because the controll board is faulty does that mean that eventually it will stop working completly, and is this controll board the same control board that is called the jazz board, because we recently had a new one of those fitted when the freezer stopped working

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
It's hard to know how control boards will progress when failing. It could actually correct itself at some point and work normally again. It could stay the same, or it could stop working completely. And the Jazz board is the display board inside the refrigeratur up against the ceiling---this is not the same part that needs to be replaced currently.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Just one more question, is this control board for the ice and water difficult to replace, and as an unqualified person would I be able to fit it myself,

Thankyou for your help

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
If you're handy, you can definitely install it yourself. Just unplug the refrigerator first. Then pull the drip try straight forward and off at the bottom of the dispenser. That should expose a few screws that you can remove and the entire front face of the dispenser will pull off. From that point the control board is just held in by a few screws and it's all plug and play. I'd say it takes me less than 15 minutes to replace the part, so maybe 30 minutes for you?