Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

I have a Ge side by side model # XXXXX that has mother

Customer Question

I have a Ge side by side model # XXXXX that has mother board, and I do not see how to punt in defrost cycle to check heating elements, also need to make sure board is not malfunctioning. When I turn off controls evp fan sill runs.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

You can not force the control board into defrost unfortunately. The fan running when you turn the controls off is not normal and only the control board would cause that---the control board would need to be rpelaced to fix that issue.

As for testing defrost, the only way to do this is to unplug the refrigerator. Locate the connection on the control board where 3 thicker wires connect to the board. On the board, there should be some text showing DEF, COMP, and LINE. You'll need to unplug this connection and put a jumper wire between LINE and DEF. Then plug the refrigerator in. If the defrost heater does not heat up, you have a bad defrost heat or defrost thermostat that will need to be replaced. If the defrost heater does heat up when you do this and you have a problem with the coils becoming backed with frost and the unit isn't defrosting, you'd need to replace the control board.

Please Don't Forget the deposit you placed to ask the question is not used to compensate me until you rate my service! Please Remember that when you are asked to give a rating, you are rating My Service and not this website itself or the problem of your appliance.
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I also disconnected the plug where the heat element go an ohm the pink and blue wires and it shows open

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
I'm not there so I'm not sure which pink and blue wire you are talking about?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Those are the color of the wires that lead to the heater

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
ah. Yes, if you tested continuity through the heater and it's open, then the heater is definitely bad.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok so how do I close out

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
You just close the window. You are free to leave the site at any time. I appreciate you using this service and if you need anything else, just let us know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for all your help, have a good day.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
no problem and you do the same.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i installed new board jumped to put in defrost, and it went into defrost, now took jumper off and turned controls back on and evp fan does not run.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
That isn't something I can explain. Make sure the coils are cold because the fan won't turn on unless they are frosted---but you either got a defective board or a shorted fan motor if the coils are frosting over and the fan isn't running.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
good luck.