Bob L Your  Appl Pal
Bob L Your Appl Pal, Home Appliance Tech
Experience:  23 Years Major Appliance Repair
14958677

I have a GE Profile Top Load Washing machine that doesnt have

I have a GE Profile Top Load Washing machine that doesn't have the typical cylindrical agitator. It's Model WPGT9350. It is producing a loud squeaking metal on metal sound during agitator. I've lubricated everything I can think of but assume there is something I'm missing associated with the agitator but don't know how to get the belts or bolts associated with this type of machine's agitator.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  applianceguy replied 1 year ago.

applianceguy :

Hi, pry out the cap in middle of wash pan. Remove bolt and lift up wash pan.

applianceguy :

It will pull up hard

Customer:

Is the wash pan the circular disk that moves?

applianceguy :

Yes, sorry for the delay. connection problems.

applianceguy :

None of the post are showing up on my screen.

applianceguy :

Tip the washer back with it empty. You will see a round plastic cover, that is the stator. Move it by hand back and forth. Listen to see if you can hear the noise.

applianceguy :

Post are showing up now.

applianceguy :

I will opt out so another tech may help you. I am having problems staying online.

Expert:  Bob L Your Appl Pal replied 1 year ago.
Hello..It is my Pleasure To Be Working With You Today...This only happens in the agitating cycle Correct..?
Before removing the agitator..Keep in mind..If the sound is a metal to metal scraping sound..Most likely the problem is the tub contacting the bottom of the washer cabinet..This happens often if the washer was moved..Main cause is being moved with a dolly..The dolly pushes up on the bottom of the washer bending the bottom of the washer up..Which cause contact between the bottom of the drum and the floor of the washer..This will only happen in the wash cycle as in the spin cycle the tub does not move..Remove the front panel ..Run the washer check for contact..If the unit has not been moved..This can still happen due to the tub sagging...Also please rate my answer to you at "OK" or better before leaving today..If you have any further questions i will be standing by..Thank You Bob
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I was able to remove the agitator. There was a lot of sXXXXX XXXXXke deposits, so I cleaned up that. However, when I rotate the basket, I still get the squeaking. Appears that I would need to remove the inner basket so I can get to the metal on metal beneath the agitator bolt mount. Is there another way?

Are you positive the sound is not coming from beneath the tub itself..?
On this unit most likely the sound you are hearing has to do with the stator assembly..If the seal is worn it will allow water into the assembly..which will cause rust and damage the stator assembly..It could also be a sensor which has broken..Access the inside of the cabinet.Remove the bolt at #300...Remove the stator assembly #215-205..Rotate the tub..Inspect that area.

graphic
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry - How's best way to access the inside of the cabinet. Do you mean from the back of the machine or the underneath side?

Correct..You can lay the unit down on its side..You can access thru the bottom or remove the back cover.

graphic
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

What is the trick to removing the bolt since it is attached to the drum that rotates and moves when you attempt to remove.

You will need a socket..Hold the drum steady..Take a hammer and carefully break the bolt loose..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Done all that. Not really sure what I should be looking for. There is more of the sandy residue and dust on the #205. There is lots of brown greasy film which I'm guessing is some type of lubricant. When I move the drum I don't hear the squeaking anymore but now that I have it this far apart, do I need to check anything else. Do I need to lubricate some of the parts before I put it back together, if so what is recommended? You mentioned the possibility of water getting somewhere it shouldn't, where's that?

If there was water getting into the stator..You would see allot of rust..It would be evident..From what you are explaining its sounds like the stator is causing your problem..Worn Etc...You can clean the parts then try using a bearing type lubricant..Sounds like you have found the location of the sound you were hearing..The fix is most likely going to be replacing the stator.
Experience: 23 Years Major Appliance Repair
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have finally gotten all the parts that I need to finish the repair but I can't get bolt #40 off the machine. Any suggestions.

Bolt # 30..If so use a socket carefully remove being careful not to break the bolt..It should un screw Thanks Bob