Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have Whirlpool front loading washer GHW9150PW4. I do not

Customer Question

I have Whirlpool front loading washer GHW9150PW4. I do not see any wires broken. It keeps shutting off and showing F 11 error code. What do I do. I just replaced the motor a few months ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So to start, F11 means that your main central control board (CCU) and the motor control board (MCU) are not communicating with one another properly -- it has nothing to do with the motor itself or the wires between the motor and motor control board. The motor control board is located under the tub mounted to the floor of the washer. The CCU is mounted under the top panel of the washer and is the part with about 100 wires going into it. You'll want to remove the top panel and the lower front panel to check the wire connections and make sure they are all secure. If everything looks good, then you just have to somewhat guess which control board you want to replace first, either the MCU or the CCU. The problem is that there is no way to test and determine which part is faulty so it's just a guessing game. That's what makes this one of the worst errors to get. For issues like this, I'd recommend ordering the parts through RepairClinic.com because they allow you to return control boards if you end up not needing them unlike most places.

Please Don't Forget the deposit you placed to ask the question is not used to compensate me until you rate my service! Please Remember that when you are asked to give a rating, you are rating My Service and not this website itself or the problem of your appliance.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

How do I take off the top panel

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
There are 3 screws coming in from the back of the top panel. Remove these screws and the top panel will pull straight back, up, and off.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I do not think I understand. Are you talking about the back of the washer. This is a front loading machine. Does that make a difference.

I see a lot of screws in the back.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Yes, I am talking about the back of the washer. And I know this is a front load washer---you did give me the model number. There are only 3 screws coming in from the back of the washer going "into the back of the top panel". Those are the 3 screws you need to remove.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK both the front and the top are off.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
ok...? I'm not sure if you have a question or why you are telling me that?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So what do I do now

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Quote:

The motor control board is located under the tub mounted to the floor of the washer. The CCU is mounted under the top panel of the washer and is the part with about 100 wires going into it. You'll want to remove the top panel and the lower front panel to check the wire connections and make sure they are all secure. If everything looks good, then you just have to somewhat guess which control board you want to replace first, either the MCU or the CCU. The problem is that there is no way to test and determine which part is faulty so it's just a guessing game. That's what makes this one of the worst errors to get. For issues like this, I'd recommend ordering the parts through RepairClinic.com because they allow you to return control boards if you end up not needing them unlike most places.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Is there a way to open the white box on the left side under the tub to see if those wires are all connected well?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Not that I know of, but it shouldn't be needed anyways. All you need to do is push on each connection and make sure they are all pushed in tightly. That's all you can do. usually a loose connection isn't the issue, but it's something to check. You will almost always need to replace one of the two boards when you get this error.