Jon
Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
60802242

Hi there, We bought of trademe a F&P 920 dishwasher. We

Customer Question

Hi there,

We bought of trademe a F&P 920 dishwasher. We put a cycle through with dishwasher cleaner when we got it on Thursday but today can't get it to go. When I press the power button, it just does the click click sound. what's wrong with it.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.

Jon :

hello

Jon :

my name is XXXXX XXXXX I am an authorized F&P service tech and I can help you today.

Jon :

Is there any error code that comes up in the display? or any lights that flash on the control panel?

Jon :

Do you have the model number of the dishwasher?

Customer:

no lights, am not sure what number to give you

Jon :

if you look just inside the dishwasher you will see a sticker that says model and serial number. please tell me what the model number is.

Jon :

it will usually start with dw920

Customer:

got it, 920

Jon :

ok. thank you. and you do have a display on the front control board, correct?

Jon :

it would be just under the normal light.

Jon :

that is where the time is normally displayed. do you see what i am talking about?

Jon :

are you still there?

Customer:

yes

Jon :

ok. good.

Jon :

what is displayed in that display when the unit stops or fails on you? is there or was there ever an error code like f1 or f2?

Customer:

yes i do see

Jon :

ok. good. is there an error code displayed in the display?

Customer:

none of those it looks like 8.8

Jon :

ok so it is showing the 88 code. this usually means that it was put into a diagnostic check cycle.

Jon :

please tell me exactly what had happened with your machine?

Customer:

I put it through on a normal cycle to clean the machine the first time we got it on Thursday. Have not use it since but trying to today and can't start it.

Jon :

ok gotcha.

Jon :

so this machine is new?

Jon :

less then a year old?

Customer:

no got it second hand, 5 years old

Jon :

ok. just checking.

Jon :

so since you tried the normal cycle it hasnt worked? ,correct?

Customer:

correct

Jon :

did it complete the normal cycle?

Customer:

yes

Jon :

ok good.

Jon :

ok. have you tired reseting the machine?

Customer:

do you mean switching power off and on?

Jon :

yes. but not just the power. you have to reset the machine first by flipping off the breaker to the machine at the breaker on the mains to the house for ten minutes. leave it off for the ten minutes then flip it back on. then try it again. if it still will not let you run a cycle then we will need to run a computer reset on the control board.

Jon :

try that now and let me know what happens? if the machine still doesnt work i will show you how to reset the control board. and if that doesnt work you will need to replace the main board.

Customer:

I'll get my husband to do that now. talk soon

Jon :

you got it. i'll be here. just get back to me and tell me what you find.

Jon :

if you end up needing the board i can tell you where to get it cheaply so you can install it yourselves or have a repair company install it and save some money that way.

Customer:

Thank you. I'll shut down the PC now before I switch the power main off.

Jon :

ok. but you only need to shut the power off to the dishwasher. not to the whole house.

Jon :

on your breaker box or mains the dishwasher should be listed. if not, just go trough the breakers until you get the one for the dishwasher. and keep it off for ten minutes then turn it back on again.

Jon :

this way you will not have to shut the whole house down.

Jon :

but if you need to shut the whole thing down, then yes, definitely shot everything off first. then just come back to me here after you power back up again. and please tell me what happened.

Jon :

if you feel that i have helped to answer your questions please remember to rate my performance positively below this chat now. and you can still continue chatting with me and can still come back here to ask me more questions and I will help you more for no additional charge.

Jon :

Please let me know what happens.

Jon :

How did we do with the reset of the dishwasher?

Customer:

not good

Customer:

Are you there Jon?

Jon :

i ma here

Jon :

sorry

Jon :

i am here

Jon :

how did it work for you?

Customer:

no, no change

Jon :

ok. so when you push the buttons to set a cycle does it let you set the cycle?

Customer:

no

Jon :

what does it say in the display when you try to hit the buttons?

Customer:

nothing at all, just click sound when I press power

Jon :

ok. but does it let you set the cycle?

Customer:

no

Jon :

on this dishwasher you can select the cycle you want then ht the start button to start the cycle. will it even let you select a cycle?

Jon :

ok. if it will not even let you select a cycle does it look like the lock button is on?

Customer:

it's not letting me

Jon :

is the light next to the key button lit?

Customer:

no

Jon :

ok. good.

Jon :

can you try this for me please?

Customer:

ok

Jon :

we are going to reset the computer. at least try to any way

Customer:

ok

Jon :

you have to hit the lock button and the start/pause buttons together. but hit the lock button slightly before you hit the start/ pause button. and keep them held down and hit the power button. let go of the buttons when the display lights up.

Jon :

you should hear a beep and then the display should light up. when you see this let go and the dish will be in a diagnostic check cycle.

Jon :

after it is in a check cycle hit the start button and let it run through a quick check cycle. it should take about ten minutes.

Jon :

after it has gone through a complete check cycle it will have reset the computer.

Jon :

please let me know what happens or if you cant get the computer to go through a check cycle in diagnostics

Jon :

are you still with me? do you understand what you need to do?

Customer:

still here

Jon :

ok. do you know what to do?

Customer:

the display light is not coming on, we are getting the beep but the power light is not coming on

Jon :

the power light will not come on. just the display lights

Jon :

ok lets try it again.

Jon :

and remember to hit the lock button just slightly before the start button. and hold those buttons at the same time while hitting and holding the power button.

Customer:

ok trying it again

Jon :

if the dishwasher computer will not go into diagnostics then the computer is the problem and has most likely shorted out. which is why it will not let you do anything. and it will need to be changed.

Jon :

ok. please let me know how it works for you.

Customer:

just the beep sound again nothing lighting up

Jon :

ok. and no other lights are lit?

Customer:

that's right

Jon :

ok. here is one more thing to try. and if this doesnt work then you need to change the board.

Customer:

ok

Jon :

hit and hold the power button for 20 seconds then hit the cancel button.

Jon :

sorry the start pause button

Jon :

hit the power button for 20 seconds then let go. then hit the start button for one second and close the door if not closed already and tell me what happens?

Customer:

ok

Customer:

tried it just the beep beep sound only nothing else

Jon :

ok.

Jon :

the door is fully closed correct?

Customer:

yes

Jon :

ok.

Jon :

so with the door closed you hit the start button and nothing happens? even after waiting for about 20 seconds? nothing at all? no sounds of anything?

Customer:

that's right

Jon :

ok. so if no noises and no start then you have a bad control module/ board. it will need to be replaced.

Customer:

ok how do we go about replacing it

Jon :

you can either call F&P directly or go through a parts warehouse like big warehouse.com

Jon :

in fact, i would call either one and get pricing to see which one will be the cheapest. or just go to you closest appliance parts store and check to see if they stock F&P parts. and price it out that way. and even order it with them.

Jon :

and if either you or your husband are handy and feel comfortable working on this machine, you can do the repair and save some more money. or just call for service and have them install it. that will save you money too.

Customer:

Thank you

Jon :

you are very welcome. and thank you for being patient with me as we try to diagnose the problems with your machine.

Jon :

you did a very good job.

Jon :

if you dont have any other questions for me now, please remember to positively rate my performance below with ok service or better rating. and if you have more questions at a later time, you can come back to me here and I will help you more for no additional charge.

Jon :

thanks

Customer:

will do and thank you for you help

Jon :

you got it. it was my pleasure.

Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience: Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Patricia,

Thank you for the positive rating. It is greatly appreciated.

Please get back to me here if you have any other questions or concerns and I will help you more for no additional charge.

Thanks again.