The Home Smithy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years repairing appliances
3079445

I have a maytag neptune front loader washer every time it goes

I have a maytag neptune front loader washer every time it goes in to spin there is a loud grinding noise coming from the back were the the pulley is located.... model is mah5500bww

Hi. I'm Smitty. I am a professional appliance repair consultant here to help you diagnose, and repair, your appliance.

Does the unit also shake quite a bit?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

a little

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

is there a Bering some were in the back of that unit

Sorry I was knocked off line by a vacuum!

Okay. It sounds like you have a main bearing going out. This is a common problem with this model series. Unfortunatelly the parts run over 400.00 and the labor is about the same. Unless you are handy with tearing down major appliances, and can do the work yourself, this would not be cost effective to have a repair service do it for you. You would be better off investing the 800 dollars in a new unit.

Of course if you would like to repair this yourself I can provide a complete service manual, and personal help for you to work with. Just let me know and I will start the upload.

Please let me know if you have any other concerns.
If not please select a positive rating at this time. Doing so will not close your question, and after you rate my service you may ask any followup questions you like. All at no additional charge.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

were would that main bearing be located at

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

if you could can u send me some info were that main Bering would be located at

It is located at the rear of the wash drum. The drive spindle goes through it and attaches to the pully. The bearing can not be ordered through regular parts sites or dealers. You can only get it preinstalled with the rear drum half.

There is one option. Please click here to visit a web site that will sell you the bearing and then you can get on a weaiting list to use the bearing installing tool.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

so is the Bering is installed in a new drum

Yes.