Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

I have replaced the boot for a maytag neptune washer. I am

I have replaced the boot for a maytag neptune washer. I am having trouble connecting the spring to the cable ends that secure the boot. It continues to collapse in when pulling the spring to engage the eyelets on the cable. What is the best way to complete the process?
Thank you
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So the best thing I've found is to lubricate the groove where the cable slides as well as the cable itself with some oil. This stops the cable from pulling on the gasket so much and it stops the boot from collapsing as easily. There was a specalty tool that Maytag made to put the spring on but since it's no longer made and you don't have it, vice grips to clamp onto the spring and the wire (if you have 2 pairs) are the best for this job. Otherwise vice grips on the spring side and pliers or channel locks on the spring side are probably the next best thing to try.

Please Don't Forget the deposit you placed to ask the question is not used to compensate me until you rate my service! Please Remember that when you are asked to give a rating, you are rating My Service and not this website itself or the problem of your appliance.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ill be trying that right now. Get back to you shortly.

ok good luck.