Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

My GE side by side refrigerator has thermostat problems. Even

Customer Question

My GE side by side refrigerator has thermostat problems. Even though it is at the warmest setting the bottom 2 trays are at about 15f and everything freezes. Also, ice cubes melt and referee in the ice maker.

Terry
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Can you pull everything out of the freezer and remove the lower back panel inside the freezer? What do the silver coils look like behind this panel? Are they packed with frost? Lightly frosted from top to bottom? no frost at all?

Also, can you look for the model again please? The number you have listed is not the model. The model should be located on a sticker near the ceiling of the refrigerator and can be seen if you open the door.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is frost on the back panel.

Model gss25pgmb ww
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
OK perfect. This sounds like a common issue and it means that your unit is not longer defrosting in the freezer so the refrigerator is not able to steal air to cool down. You'll need to either unplug the unit for 24 hours or remove everything of the freezer and remove the lower back panel inside the freezer to defrost it with a hair dryer. Once all the frost is thawed out, the unit will start working again. To make sure the problem doesn't come back, you'll want to replace the defrost heater. GE's defrost heaters fail often because they are nothing more than a long glass light bulb. Order and replace the defrost heater at the bottom of all the frost and you should be good to go. Below is a link to the defrost heater you'll want to order and replace.

CLICK HERE

Now I did want to point out that there are a few other possibilities like the defrost timer/control board or the defrost sensor, but these rarely fail on this model and there is no way to test the heater for certain to know if it's good or not. The reason is because that the heater is glass and can get water inside of it when it fails so it will show good continuity even when it's bad sometimes. That's why the best course of action is to replace the heater since it's by far the most common problem. Also, if you happen to remove the back panel and the coils aren't packed with frost, then that would mean the fan above the coils is likely not running which will generate the same symptoms. You'll need to order and replace the evaporator fan motor if this is the case.

Please Don't Forget the deposit you placed to ask the question is not used to compensate me until you rate my service! Please Remember that when you are asked to give a rating, you are rating My Service and not this website itself or the problem of your appliance.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'll do what you said and will get back with you.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
no problem and good luck.