Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

I have an old maytag top loading washer it will fill up with

I have an old maytag top loading washer it will fill up with water and do nothing else, the timer ticks and the knob moves but nothing happens when it gets to another cycle, will not agitate or spin. I have been able to get the water to spin out turning the dial at one spin cycle or another sometimes. right now it's doing nothing tomorrow it might spin the water out . I have replaced the lid switch.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

If the timer is ticking down, the problem isn't the lid switch---the lid switch would stop the timer from counting down. That being said, you have a problem with your lid switch itself if you can sometimes get the unit to work but it's very sporadic. The contacts inside the lid switch aren't always making contact to send power to the motor so it won't always run. Below is a link to the timer you'll need to order and replace for your model number to fix the issue. Unfortunately the part is not cheat at about $125, but if you order the part from or the link below they allow you to return the part for 1 year with no questions asked if that makes you feel more comfortable.

Please Don't Forget the deposit you placed to ask the question is not used to compensate me until you rate my service! Please Remember that when you are asked to give a rating, you are rating My Service and not this website itself or the problem of your appliance.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your reply I have a new timer i can put on and your right it's not cheap.

No problem and I wish you only the best.