The Home Smithy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years repairing appliances
3079445

Whirlpool Refrigerator, GI5FSAXVY01 Ice maker working fine,

Customer Question

Whirlpool Refrigerator, GI5FSAXVY01 Ice maker working fine, but when the water dispenser button is pushed it will not light up and cannot be selected, so no water can be dispensed. All other lights blink when that button is pushed. Is the button itself malfunctioning?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 1 year ago.

Hi. I'm Smitty. I am a professional appliance repair consultant here to help you diagnose, and repair, your appliance.

To test the system please do the following and let me know what the results are.

The service test functions are performed using the refrigerator display and keypad. Enter the Service

Test Mode by performing the following sequence of events:

1. Press and hold the Door Alarm Keypad .

2. Press and hold Refrigerator Temperature Up Keypad .

3. Release the Door Alarm Keypad and wait 3 seconds.

4. The Freezer display will display SE confirming entry in the Service Mode.

5. Press the Refrigerator Up Keypad again to confirm entry in the Service Mode.

6. Display will show 101 in left display and numeric or dashes in right display.

7. Press Freezer Up Keypad and Freezer Down Keypad to toggle through

Service Test numbers.

8. To exit service test mode, open and close refrigerator door or hold door alarm for 3 seconds.

Use the +/- keys to scroll to test 163.

Service Test - 163 Water Dispenser

• Display shows the state of the Water Dispenser Valve (On or OFF).

NOTE: By pushing Actuator pad or Front Fill you can control state of Water Dispenser Valve.

Service Test - 164 External Ice Chute Door

• Display shows the state of the External Ice Chute Door CL (closed) or OP (open).

NOTE: By pushing Actuator pad you can control state of External Ice Chute Door.

Service Test - 165 Dispenser Lamp

• Display shows the state of the Dispenser Lamp (On or OFF).

NOTE: By pushing Actuator pad or Front Fill you can control state of dispenser lamp.

Service Test - 167 Cavity Heater Test (On some models)

• Toggles the state of the Cavity Heater On or OFF.

NOTE: Pushing refrigerator + / - keypads toggles the cavity heaters state to On or OFF

Service Test - 168 Cube Dispenser and Internal Ice Chute Door Operation

• Display shows the state of the ice auger motor and the internal ice chute door. (On or OFF)

NOTE: By pushing actuator pad you can control state of the Ice auger motor and the internal ice chute

door.

Service Test - 171 Actuator Pad

• Display shows the state of the Actuator Pad (On or OFF).
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I tried to get the refrigerator into service mode, but all that displays after doing the steps above is "F_C 0F"

The right display shows zero degrees F.

Any ideas?

Ok there qare two procedures listred for this model. Please try this one.

The service test functions are performed using the refrigerator display and keypad. Enter the Service Test Mode by performing the following sequence

of events:

1. Press and hold the Door Alarm Keypad.

2. Press and hold Refrigerator Temperature UP / + Keypad.

5. Press the Refrigerator Temperature UP /+ Keypad again to confirm entry in the Service Mode.

7. Press Freezer Refrigerator Temperature UP / + Keypad and Freezer DOWN /- Keypad to toggle through Service Test numbers.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I still can't get into service mode. It appears the refrigerator temperature up key is not working either. When I push it by itself all the other lights light up but the temperature up does nothing. Sounds like the keypad is dieing?

Yes it does sound like a short in the keypad. One moment and I will get you parts information.

Please click here to order the new control board.

Toi access the board remopve the drip tray and then take out the two screws at the bottom of the dispenser. Pull out on the bottom and the dispenser will come out. Remove the wires going to the board and replace it with the new one.

Please let me know if you have any other concerns.
If not please select a positive rating at this time. Doing so will not close your question, and after you rate my service you may ask any followup questions you like. All at no additional charge.

Thank you.

Experience: 30 years repairing appliances
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I just replaced the circuit board and that did not fix the problem....any other ideas?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Other.
The original answer did not work. Part was replaced and the problem persists.
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 1 year ago.

I see you have relisted your question I will assist you .

My name is Woody .

If you have replaced the dispenser display control and still have no chilled water being dispensed when you call for chilled water ,

then it has to be an issue in the main / high voltage control .

That is what powers the chilled water solenoid to let water flow out the dispenser .

The link below is to the part you will need from a highly recommended company rated A+ with the Better Business Bureau.
They offer a 100% money back guarantee, EVEN ON INSTALLED ELECTRICAL PARTS, for an entire year!
They are the only company to allow returns on installed parts for a refund and offer a FULL ONE YEAR Warranty!

CLICK HERE for part info it is mounted in the lower rear of the unit

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Is this something that I could install? If so, how would I go about that?

yes easy to install .

Just basic hand tools needed .

And if you pull the unit out away from the wall remove the bottom panel and the control is mounted in the left rear corner looking at the unit from the rear .