Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Moved into old Appliances. Have a U-Line under counter that

Moved into old Appliances. Have a U-Line under counter that receives power. Yet aside from the light going on there are no other sounds or signs of life to it. Underneath needs to be cleaned as it looks very congested. That would be my first attempt. Do you think it's of use?
Thanks!
Mary
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Do you have a model number so that I can better assist you? And can you explain exactly what kind of U-line this is? Is it an icemaker? A refrigerator? A freezer? A combo unit?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Here since October 2012 - no source of info left behind. Built in 1987- appliances appear to be original.
U-LINE refrigerator with an ice maker is built in under the counter with cabinet panel. I cannot locate a number.
A manufacturer note inside door jam reads : "This unit is not frost free defrost periodically".

It was discovered unplugged. Believing it must have been unplugged for at least two years. Fortunately the plug is easy to access. The light would go on. No sound, no cooling. I kept it unplugged with the intent to clean the underneath coils.

Coincidently I just plugged it back in, expecting only the light to go on- now I hear noise that is typical of a refrigerator.
Electrical issues, in random areas - breakers that were not on and fuses needing replacement - have been discovered and rectified over past several weeks .. If it is related to a fuse - could the light be powered differently?. Still can't determine efficiency however low air is blowing out of bottom. As for the ice maker ?

Aside from pulling it out of the surrounding cabinets- how could I find a model number? I believe ULINE is a more costly brand- yet thats all i know about them. Would it be worth or even possible to repair it? Secondary or under-counter small refrigerators are ordinarily in a different price range. Are you able to define its exclusiveness.
I sure hope this is a solved problem and it continues to run.
Thanks for all you do!
Mary
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.
There should be a model on a sticker just inside the door liner. If you open the door and look around for a sticker inside the cabinet---do you happen to see the model?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.
I only ask because it sounds to me like your thermostat is going out. At the bottom there is a turn knob to adjust the temperature. These thermostats fail often on these older units and they will fail to kick on. Just because it turned on right now doesn't mean it will continue running forever. I'd monitor it for a few weeks and see if it stops working. If it stops working, replace the thermostat behind the knob. Otherwise possibly moving the controls or jostling the controls reset the thermostat and hopefully it continues to work. You'd need the model number to order the correct thermostat.