Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

My refrigerator runs constantly. The frig is cold, but icecream

My refrigerator runs constantly. The frig is cold, but icecream melts in the freezer. I have cleaned the coils under the under the frig. I also took off the back pan in the freezer to check for ice on the coils - this was ok. The compressor motor runs ok and the blower fan in the freezer is good too. I noticed some water coming from the bottom of the unit, but there is no icemaker hooked up, so it is not a leak from that.

Any suggestions?
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So this appears to be a side by side refrigerator. The first thing you need to do is remove everything out of the freezer. Remove the screws going into the lower back panel and remove the lower back metal panel INSIDE the freezer. That will expose the silver coils behind this panel. Can you tell me what the frost on these coils looks like? Are the coils packed with frost? No frost at all? Lightly frosted from top to bottom? Some frost on top but none on bottom? etc...

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Just a little bit of frost on the top coils.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry, I may have hit the wrong button on my computer. There was just a little bit of frost on the top coil/coils behind the back pan in the freezer.

OK so that's a big problem but it's what I expected. This means that your compressor isn't running efficiently or you have a freon leak. Pull the refrigerator forward and remove the screws going into the lower back BEHIND the unit. Make sure the fan next to the compressor is running. If the coils below the unit are clean and the fan is running, there isn't anything else you can do yourself. You'd need a licensed sealed system technician to come out and check the freon pressure. If it's low on freon pressure you'd need a leak repair an refill which is usually about $350. If the freon hasn't leaked out, you'd need a new compressor which is about $550 so often times people will just replace the refrigerator, but that's completely up to you.

Please Don't Forget the deposit you placed to ask the question is not used to compensate me until you rate my service! Please Remember that when you are asked to give a rating, you are rating My Service and not this website itself or the problem of your appliance.