Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

FGFLMC55GCA is my model trouble convert oven to LP

FGFLMC55GCA is my model number. I am converting to LP gas and the orifice in the over does not turn or seem like it is supposed to. And the lower burner orifice seems to not want to turn either. I know they need to be adjusted because there is large flames coming out when I lit them. Is it just a matter of adjusting the air flow? The directions that came with the kit were for multiple models and none seem to match my dilema. I did the stove top no problem but the adjustable orifice they speak of seems way to tight to tighten without breaking. 

Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

On this particular oven, you can't just tighten down the orifice like other ovens. You will need to purchase the LP conversion kit and replace all the orifices to convert this unit from NG to LP. Below is a link to the kit you need to order for your model number. The kit comes with instructions and pictures on how to replace these nozzles.

Please Don't Forget the deposit you placed to ask the question is not used to compensate me until you rate my service! Please Remember that when you are asked to give a rating, you are rating My Service and not this website itself or the problem of your appliance.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have installed this kit already and in the manual it says to adjust the orifices in the upper and lower oven valves. I have read the instructions over and over and I just don't see how to adjust those valves without breaking them. I can read directions quite well but due to the fact that these instructions cover many models. I need someone that has actually done the conversion on this model to answer this. I already mentioned the kit being installed.The oven is the issue not the burners.

There isn't really an adjustment to the valves. Tightening them as far as they go is all there is to adjust them. What does the flame look like coming out of the bake burner? How far out from the burner is the flame? What does the color look like?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

big flame white ends 3-4 inches. Can the dampener adjust this?

That sounds like it's within range to me---put the Natural gas orifice in and you'll see the different. If you had the natural gas orifice, the flame would be 6-7 inches and mostly orange and red. The flame should be about 3 inches or so and mostly blue with orange/red tips/flickers.

As for the air shutter adjustment (I think that's what you're calling the dampener?) You just adjust this to change the color of the flame. If you see no orange tips/flickers, you need to open the shutter further to allow more oxygen to mix with the flame. If you are a lot of orange and red on the tip, close the shutter and that will lower the oxygen mixture causing a mostly blue flame.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The is no different orifice for the oven. They said to turn it 2-3 turns to adjust it. It does not move. The flames must be higher than I stated earlier. They actually wrapped around and up the bottom plate of the stove when I installed it. That is defiantly not right. If I close the shutter more will it affect the height of the flames. They are way to high at this time. I think my main question is am I supposed to be able to adjust the orifice on the two over valves. I can not seem to make them move. The instructions are vague and the do not get changed in the conversion process according to the instructions.

If the flames are that large, the shutter will have minimal effect---the problem is with the orifice. Either you got a bad orifice or you're going to need a way to screw it down further because it must be screwed in all the way down or it won't be converted to propane.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So both of these orifices are supposed to turn?

They are supposed to "thread" in tight. Meaning you turn them in just like a screw and they tighten down all the way unless you have them cross threaded.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

These are not like screws they have a head like a bullet that the gas goes says to tighten with a 1/2 in wrench 2 2 1/2 turns. Are we talking about the same thing> you described the orifices for the stove top burners I am in the oven.

Yes, they are still the exact same thing. Those brass orifices are threaded on the inside and tightened down just like the cooktop orifices. I understand that they are difficult to turn but you're going to need to find a way to get more leverage because even if they are 1/4 turn away from being completely tight they will not adjust properly.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So sliding a 1/2 inch socket over them is ok?

Definitely. If there's enough room to get your socket over the top of the orifice. This is the best way to tighten down the orifice.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i will let you know how it goes

ok good luck.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It worked. thank you

awesome, I'm glad you got it all taken care of.