Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Kenmore gas dryer will not heat. The glow ingiter will not

Kenmore gas dryer will not heat. The glow ingiter will not glow and the gas will still come out.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So the dryer is supposed to have safety precautions to not allow the gas out unless the igniter is drawing a certain amount of amperage. Are you sure the igniter is not glowing? And you remove the front cover, disconnect the belt, and remove the drum out to watch and see if the igniter ever glows when you turn the dryer on to heat? Be sure that the front panel door switch is still connected or the dryer will not run once you have it apart.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sometimes it glows and sometimes not. But both still click and lets gas out. I can smell it.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
OK so that's how the igniter is supposed to work, it's supposed to turn on and off---but it sounds like it's not either allowing enough gas to flow, or the igniter isn't mounted properly. If you haven't tampered with the igniter and it's still mounted properly, then you're down to the gas valve. Now there is no way to test between the gas valve or the 2 black gas coils on top of the gas valve, but the coils are much cheaper than the valve and if the coils are going out it can cause the valve to just crack open causing a gas smell but not enough to light a flame. If a thermostat was bad, the igniter would never glow and the valve would never open, so we know that a thermostat is not the issue.

Below is a link to the gas coils. And if you still had problems and the igniter definitely glows still, you'd need to replace the gas valve assembly which is much more expensive and comes with new coils.

CLICK HERE

Please Don't Forget the deposit you placed to ask the question is not used to compensate me until you rate my service! Please Remember that when you are asked to give a rating, you are rating My Service and not this website itself or the problem of your appliance.
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Found it. The wires for the igniter is burnt and looks to be grounding out.