Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a very general question about fridges. I have one that

I have a very general question about fridges. I have one that has a light flashing for the water filter. I don't use the ice machine or have a water dispenser. Do I need to replace the water filter? Thanks.
You do not need to replace the water filter if you don't use it. In fact, if you don't have water even hooked up to the refrigerator, you can remove the filter completely and just discard it. As for the flashing light---that is just "timed" by the control board. The control board has a timer that will count down 6 months and after 6 months it will tell you that you need to replace the filter regardless if you have a filter installed or how much water goes through the refrigerator.
Please Don't Forget the deposit you placed to ask the question is not used to compensate me until you rate my service! Please Remember that when you are asked to give a rating, you are rating My Service and not this website itself or the problem of your appliance.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Is there a way to stop the flashing light? Will it stop if we completely take out the water filter? Thanks.
There is a way to stop the flashing light, but I'd need your model number to see how to do that for your model. It will come back every 6 months and will not stop if you take the water filter out. The refrigerator has no way of knowing if you have a filter installed or not.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It's a Whirlpool and the model # ***** ***** Thank you!!
Alright perfect, so on this unit press and hold Reset Filter or Filter Reset (depending on your model) for 3 seconds. The filter indicator lights will blink and then go off when the system is reset