Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

I have a Kenmore washer with an auto-balance feature. I was

I have a Kenmore washer with an auto-balance feature. I was washing towels when it began to make banging noises, as if against the sides of the washer but from the inside. I've stopped the washer, drained the water, and tried to activate the "Rinse and Spin" setting. However, it continues to make the banging noise again right away. What do I do?
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

If you remove everything from inside the tub, will it still bang around with no clothes inside?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'm trying that right now...

OK, just let me know what you find please.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I've set the water level to Extra Small.

It seems to be filling, and I can hear it trying to adjust the balance of the tub throughout the entire fill. It makes the adjustment sound about every 3 seconds or so.

I'm surprised it's still filling...

OK, just let it keep going and then let me know what happens after 5 minutes or so.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It is currently in the Spin cycle, and it's doing fine.

OK so that's good. The next thing you want to do is try to put a load inside with clothes. If you have an issue when you add clothes, you'd be looking at a bad actuator not shifting the gearcase properly when the load is heavier, so I'd replace the actuator. But you might be ok also just remove removing the clothes and allowing the gear to catch properly again.