Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

Have a WHirlpool Duet dryer. Suddenly stopped working. When

Have a WHirlpool Duet dryer. Suddenly stopped working. When you press the start button you hear a click and NOTHING. Ralph Steen Bristow VA
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Can you check to see if the timer still counts down after you press the start button? Most of the time when this common issue happens, the dryer won't run but the timer will still count down.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

How do I do that? When I press the start button it clicks and there is nothing?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
This unit has a display on it does it not? Based on the model number you gave me it should have a display. So if you start a cycle and it clicks, just watch the display for a few minutes and does the time on the display count down still?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK .... I will call my wife and ask her to do that. Back in a minute

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
OK perfect, just let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes the clock counts down.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
OK perfect, that is what I expected. If the timer is counting down, this means that your thermal fuse has likely gone bad and will need to be replaced. If you remove the 3 screws along the bottom of the lower front panel, you can remove the lower front panel by pulling down and forward. Unplug the dryer and look behind the lint filter enclosure to the left. There is a little 1" thin flat white plastic device attached to the top of the blower wheel housing. You will need to order and replace this fuse to correct your problems.

Just for reference, the only other thing that can cause this issue is if the dryer thinks the belt is broken. So when you have the lower front panel off, do make sure the belt isn't laying on the ground broken. There is a switch next to the motor that is activated when the belt is taut. If by chance the belt is attached and the fuse happens to be good or when you replace it you still have an issue, you'll need to replace the main relay board mounted to the left side wall above the drum because it thinks that either the fuse is bad or the belt is broken.

Please Don't Forget the deposit you placed to ask the question is not used to compensate me until you rate my service! Please Remember that when you are asked to give a rating, you are rating My Service and not this website itself or the problem of your appliance.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.