Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

My Kenmore oven heats up to temperature and then turns itself

Customer Question

My Kenmore oven heats up to temperature and then turns itself off. I turn it off and immediately back on again to keep the temperature around where I need it, but that's both inconvenient and imprecise. What do I need to fix in order for the oven to stay on at the appropriate temperature?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is Kelly and I look forward to helping you! May I please have your model number so I am able to provide you with accurate, model specific information?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry, I'm not at home and don't have it. The oven is about 8-10 years old and in good working order otherwise. It's propane fueled.

Expert:  Kelly replied 3 years ago.
Once I get a model number I can get you the information you need. With no model number I can only tell you that if it initially heats up correctly then will not unless you cancel and restart the bake cycle, the control will need to be replaced. If you get the model, I can get you a link to the part and replacement instructions.

Rating my answer "OK Service" or better is the only way I receive credit for helping you. If you need additional help or clarification, please let me know. I will work to earn your highest rating! You may refer back to this question for as long as necessary after rating, AT NO ADDITIONAL CHARGE, until your problem is resolved.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I just got the model # from my husband: XXXXXXXXXXX /p>

Expert:  Kelly replied 3 years ago.
Sorry, the site blocked it. Can you repost it, leaving spaces between the numbers, please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

3 6 2 7 5 3 2 2 0 0 1

Expert:  Kelly replied 3 years ago.
Thank you, my apologies for the inconvenience. Number 129 in the diagram is the oven control. It is accessed by removing the rear access cover from the control panel. That control will need to be replaced. It is pictured and available below. All connections simply unplug and plug in, making for a very easy replacement! Please let me know if you have additional questions or need clarification. There is no additional charge for any follow up help!

Oven Control <----- CLICK HERE FOR THE CORRECT PART FOR YOUR MODEL

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So someone who's quite handy but doesn't have specific appliance experience should be able to fix it?

Expert:  Kelly replied 3 years ago.
Absolutely! It is a 15 minute job and is very easy! I can walk you through it once you receive the part.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'm not convinced the oven control is the issue... I read a little more and others in online forums say it might be the igniter. As I said in my description of the problem, the oven initially heats to temperature, then shuts down till I "reset" by turning it off and on again. I don't want to buy a $90+ part without some certainty that it's the right one.

Expert:  Kelly replied 3 years ago.
The igniter does not "reset" with the control being turned off. It either works or doesn't work. The control is what energizes the igniter and calls for heat when it needs it. If it initially heats, we know that the igniter and valve are working fine. So, when you turn the control off and back on, you are resetting the program cycle in the control.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ah, makes sense! is it okay if I don't rate you till I get the part & install it?

Expert:  Kelly replied 3 years ago.
Of course! And, if it makes you more comfortable, I can link you to the part from another company that is more expensive, but allows returns on installed parts!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I looked at the Appliance Zone policy and it said 90 days no questions... is that incorrect?

Expert:  Kelly replied 3 years ago.
They won't allow returns if it has been installed unless it is defective.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ah - okay, what is the site that will take installed returns?

Expert:  Kelly replied 3 years ago.
That part is available from them below.

Control <----- CLICK HERE FOR THE CORRECT PART FOR YOUR MODEL
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It says "Electronic clock kit. *Wiring could differ from original, will possibly need to be installed by an appliance repairperson."

How likely is it that a repairperson will need to install it? And why does it say "clock kit" when I need oven control? Does the part control both?

Expert:  Kelly replied 3 years ago.
That is the clock/control. Some have an extra wiring harness, but it comes with easy to follow, pictured instructions.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

how do I save this conversation to return to it later once I've installed it?

Expert:  Kelly replied 3 years ago.
You can simply save the URL to your favorites or come back through a link that has been sent to your email.